Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 37.85926°N / 119.07598°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7446 ft / 2270 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Mono Basin from Aeolian Buttes
Mono Basin from Aeolian Buttes
The Aeolian Buttes are a small scattering of rock formations a few miles south of Mono Lake in the Mono Basin, Eastern Sierra.
Aeolius is the Greek god of wind and wind has played a part in shaping these formations. The rock is composed of Bishop tuff which is a rhyolitic pyroclastic flow made by the volcanic activity of the Long Valley Caldera 8 to 900,000 years ago. Access is less than a mile from Hwy. 395 with the Mono Craters to the east and the High Sierra to the west.
This is an interesting place to visit and scramble about when you have a little time to explore the area. There is also some established climbing routes on the buttes.

Getting There

 
Peaks above Mono Basin
Sierra from Aeolian Buttes
From the junction with Hwy. 120 take Hwy. 395 south 6.3 miles and turn left on an unnamed dirt road (4wd not required) only a few tenths mile. The buttes are obvious on the right.
From the junction with Hwy. 203 at Mammoth Lakes take Hwy. 395 north 18.5 miles and turn left on the same road with the buttes up to the right.

Red Tape

 
San Joaquin Mtn. and Reversed Peak from the Aeolian Buttes
June Lake Sierra from Aeolian Buttes.
This area is Inyo National Forest. There are no posted restrictions.

Climbing pages for the Aeolian Buttes.

I love climbing
Rock climbing Aeolian Buttes

Camping

You can car camp pretty much anywhere out in this open space sagebrush area. Be careful not to get stuck in sand.
There are lots of campgrounds around the June Lake Loop. Click here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
hightinerary

hightinerary - Nov 26, 2019 5:51 am - Hasn't voted

Butte Commute

I believe one who is heading north on 395 would turn RIGHT on that unnamed dirt road to reach the Aeolian Buttes. Tsk tsk.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mono Lake BasinAreas & Ranges