Viewing: 1-4 of 4
WoundedKnee

WoundedKnee - Jun 19, 2009 3:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice page

Grandfather Mountain is about as good as it gets out here, and this page certainly does it justice.

Although the weather doesn't get as bad as your neck of the woods, you may have understated winter weather here. It can get very cold (below 0 F) and windy from time to time.

Cheers
Shannon

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jun 19, 2009 4:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Shannon,

Thanks for the input on the weather. I'll adjust my winter statements. I think of W NC as "mild" compared to the high peaks in Colorado in the winter...but you are very correct (and I trust a local's input) that cold is still cold and I shouldn't under-prepare visitors for winter's wrath.

Thank you!

PS: We LOVED this area a LOT. Beautiful! Mountains. Waterfalls. Flowering shrubs. It just knocked us off our feet.

Sarah

StarMan

StarMan - Jun 19, 2009 7:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Good job!

Thanks for adding... Attic Window (along with the rest of the Crest trail) is now part of NC's newest State Park:

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/grmo/main.php

It was purchased from private hands (the Morton family) last year (though they retain the gift shop, restuarant, and Swinging Bridge area).

WoundedKnee is right. This ridge can have sustained hurricane force winds with very low temperatures in the winter rivaling the likes of Mount Washington (albeit briefly)... and with ice and snow becomes very technical. The best way to access in the winter (as the Swinging Bridge road is often closed) is via the Profile Trail... trailhead on the west side off Hwy 105.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to out state. BTW, though I haven't been in a few months, CO is one of my very favorite places!

David

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jun 19, 2009 8:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good job!

David,

Thanks for the note about the State Park purchase. I must confess, nothing I saw during my visit to this area suggested state park ownership...sly.

Feel free to add a route to this page. I did my duty adding this mountain. ;)

Sarah

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Attic Window Peak' main page