Viewing: 1-20 of 24
12
Dean

Dean - Oct 24, 2006 7:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent page

Outstanding job on this one. I almost did this one this summer but ran out of time chasing some other utah peaks. Box Elder is also a prominence peak, one of Utah's 84.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Oct 24, 2006 8:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent page

Thanks Dean, I added your information to the page.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 24, 2006 8:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Excellent page

Maybe, but there already is a page for this mountain.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 24, 2006 8:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Shocking!

All the great effort on this page was a complete waste of time! All the great photos and great data. I have to give this page the lowest mark possible, since there is already a page for this exact mountain. I suggest you take down this page and/or coordinate with the owner of the existing page. Sorry.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 24, 2006 8:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Two Box Elders, but only one Dan

Dan: you are confused. There are actually two Box Elder peaks in Utah. The higher one has been up a while.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Oct 24, 2006 8:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Shocking!

Klenke is right. The other Box Elder Peak is located south of Lone Peak and north of Mount Timpanogos. This one is located in the Wellsville Mountains of Cache Valley. Sorry for the confusion.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 24, 2006 11:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Shocking!

Sorry. I knew something was strange.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 25, 2006 1:28 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Two Box Elders, but only one Dan

Wow, this one gave me a good laugh. Thanks :)

mg - would you mind attaching this to tylosaurus's regional page meybe? Tylo's a very nice guy who knows tons about Northern Utah landmarks, and gladly shares his knowledge. I'd hate to leave him tickled the wrong way on SP. Even though with his collection of images, he obviously doesn't come across as a regular SP kind of a person :)

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Oct 25, 2006 1:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Two Box Elders, but only one Dan

Sure, I attached it to his page. I'm just glad you didn't tell me that there are three Box Elder Peaks!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 25, 2006 3:38 am - Voted 10/10

No other Box Elders, no other mountaingazelle :)

Actually it really boggles my mind now that you metioned it. Two Box Elder in the Greater Wasatch in Utah and apparently none anywhere else in the world? Wow.
Is it because we are so fond of salutation "Elder" LOL ?

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 24, 2006 11:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Good page

Screwed up earlier. Great page!

mbgriffi

mbgriffi - Jul 1, 2007 12:37 pm - Voted 9/10

Coldwater Canyon - Directions

Hey:

I grew up in Cache Valley but never hiked up the Wellsvilles till I returned this past weekend. I'd suggest some updates to the details. First the directions to Coldwater could be a bit more specific. Here is a link to a Google Map I made with more detail :

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115383906756016016330.00000113823ca4c65fbb6

And a picture of the turn up to the trailhead road :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/niffgurd/685130790/

Also when you get to Stewart Pass it would be good to note in the route description that the Cone and Box Elder Peak are left to the north. Having never been there I wasn't sure, also it would be great if someone would sign the trail better. Also its not clear even from what I think was the Cone, which is where I think I was, where the trail to Box Elder Peak is. Does it drop down the ridge and then back up again? Regardless I know thats more an issue of the signing than the description though a bit more detail might help.

Flickr set in progress as I post this :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/niffgurd/sets/72157600586386740/

cheers
mbg

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 1, 2007 3:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coldwater Canyon - Directions

Thanks. I have added your information to the page. Wellsville Cone and Box Elder Peak are to the left, south, of Stewart Pass which I thought was obvious. On the summit of Wellsville Cone the route drops down and then goes back up south toward Box Elder Peak. If you grew up in Cache Valley then you would know that the range runs in a north to south direction so it would be difficult to not know where to go on top of the ridge. I agree with you that the Wellsville Mountains are not signed very well. I see nothing wrong with that.

imontop

imontop - Jul 15, 2008 5:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Coldwater Canyon

I went up Coldwater Canyon on 07/12/08. Nice a steep. We didn't make it to Box Elder, but did bag the Cone. My neice developed some serious blisters, and to tell you the truth, I was bonking big time! I wouldn't do the Coldwater route again. The trail needs to be maintained better. The steepness was no big deal, but the over growth was horrible! There was a section where you couldn't even see the trail, which made it pretty hazardous considering all the roots and rocks underneath. Not to mention stinging nettle. Yeah, there was some in that bush somewhere! Also, the lower part of the trail needs to be marked better. There are "additional routes" coming off the main trail that were made by cattle. They look well used, and if you hadn't been there before,(like me)it could really screw you up. Great day though. I'll try Box Elder from the Rattlesnake route. I'll post pictures later. and, if it's not been added by then, I'll add the route.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 15, 2008 6:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coldwater Canyon

Thanks for the comment. Stinging nettle is quite common here. Next time I would recommend the Rattlesnake Trail. This will probably become the standard route up Box Elder Peak. It would be a good idea to stay away from the route up Deep Canyon. The vegetation and brush is very overgrown here and full of stinging nettle and other unfriendly plants. I have received a few comments from other people who thought the trails should be marked better. Some of those people were quite upset about this and thought I should go “fix” these trails :) I’m glad you were able to make it to the Cone. Feel free to add photos.

imontop

imontop - Jul 15, 2008 10:55 pm - Voted 10/10

I agree

I agree with you about "less maintained" trails for the most part. Normally, I like those types of hikes too, the ones that are somewhat challenging. Maybe my expectations were too high. The trail was in good condition for the most part, just that overgrown area could be dangerous, especially for clumsy men like myself. As far as you fixing the trail, I think you better stick to the awesome info that you add to SP. As soon as I get the photos I'll add the route. Infortunately, I took one whole picture at the TH, and my batteries died. I thought I had brought extra, but they weren't in the place in my pack I thought I had put them, so I thought I must have left them home. Arggh! My nephew took pictures, so I'll wait for him to send them to me. Funny thing is, I found my batteries in ANOTHER place in my pack. Thanks for all your help and comments.

Dean

Dean - Jul 16, 2008 12:16 am - Voted 10/10

GPS

One of the helps I use is to waypoint the summit of any peak I'm attempting. That way I know for sure that I'm hitting the right one. This has helped several times, particularly out in the desert where ridgelines often tend to look alike. I also always GPS waypoint where I leave my vehicle.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: GPS

Thanks Dean. Marking the trailhead is always a smart thing to do. A map and good navigational skills are the most important. I understand why there is some confusion though. The Wellsville Mountains are not signed except for the trailheads. The vegetation is overgrown and this may make it more difficult for people who are not used to bushwhacking.

Scott

Scott - Sep 10, 2014 4:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Bob Stewart Peak?

I just noticed that the new USGS map links (including MyTopo) have updated the name of the peak to be Bob Stewart Peak (which previously was a little subpeak on the Wellsville Cone ridge).

Weird. Have you heard anything about this and do you know if it was done intentionally, or could have just been an error by the USGS?

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Sep 10, 2014 5:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Bob Stewart Peak?

I wondered about this too. In TOPO! it is also referred to as Bob Stewart Peak and it claims to be using a map from 1998 so it's been 16 years.

Viewing: 1-20 of 24
12
Return to 'Box Elder Peak' main page