Freedom Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 24, 2005 10:28 pm - Voted 2/10

Untitled Comment

This page needs a lot of work.



You need to explain how to get there from a highway. You need to be more descriptive about the route to the summit. And of course, you need some photos.



As for the topo coordinates, they are way, way off.



401539°N, 1113241°E is totally wrong. First of all, Utah is in the Western Hemisphere, not in Korea!!!



Try:

Latitude: 40.1539

Longitude: -111.3241



rockhop23

rockhop23 - Jul 24, 2005 11:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first post. I have made the changes you suggested and posted fotos. Let me know if those changes help.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 25, 2005 10:24 am - Voted 2/10

Untitled Comment

Longitude: -111.3241

Longitude: -111.3241

Longitude: -111.3241



NOT 111.3241!



Your mountain is still in China. Fix that, and I will help you out with the rest of the page.

rockhop23

rockhop23 - Jul 25, 2005 9:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Lat / Long is now correct. TopoZone map is correct.

Dean

Dean - Jul 24, 2005 11:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Keep working on your page, you are making nice progress. I'd be interested in hiking in from Y mountain sometime and you might consider adding some routes to the route section. My first page was Mt. Timpanogos and I've just kept adding to it over the past couple of years and it is amazing how it has grown. I may have a pic or two of Freedom Peak and I'll check through my collection when I get a chance. Glad to see your contribution on adding this mountain and am glad to see you interested enough in taking the time to put a page up. Harder work than it looks but kinda fun.

rockhop23

rockhop23 - Jul 25, 2005 9:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I was the Back Country Ranger for the Uinta NF on Timp from 1977 to 1979 so I used to hike it weekly AND GET PAID. The greatest job ever. So, needless to say, TImp is near and dear to my heart. I still hike it annually.

MrWasatch

MrWasatch - Jul 25, 2005 1:11 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Good addition! Look forward to route descriptions and more pictures (www.lanep.org has some nice pictures of climbing this peak). The ridge from Freedom to Provo looks pretty interesting (cl. 2-3?), would be curious to see if any SP'ers have done it...

Ed F

Ed F - Jul 25, 2005 6:43 pm - Voted 5/10

Untitled Comment

Not a bad start, but more good climbing information is needed. A few suggestions:



-I would suggest adding a route page for the one you refer to in "getting there." Some members add that info to the main page, but I always add a route page. This way, if another member adds a different route, they will both be visible there.

- Delete the "miscellaneous info" section if you don't intend to use it.

- Links and phone numbers for the local rangers are always nice.

- A weather link is also nice. NOAA is what I use exclusively.

- You mention in the intro that "This is not a beginner's hike." This type of statement requires qualification. Explaining why this is tough (and if it is technical) would best be done in a route description.

- When I say "good climbing info" above, I'm specifically referring to detailed route info. Landmarks, distances, ratings of difficulty, etc.



I'll gladly raise my vote when I see improvements. Great start, and thanks for adding.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 26, 2005 3:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks for puting a page up for Freedom Peak. I have added some info for the overview that you might find useful to add to the page.



You say that this is not a beginners hike - this is exactly why we need a route page. I would be interested in climbing it, but I'm not sure I would be able to with this amount of information.



For a 4 star page - Add route page and signature photo.

rockhop23

rockhop23 - Jul 27, 2005 11:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

My good buddy Lane has added a GPS track giving a precise route from the Dry Fork side. I'm not sure what a signature photo is.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 28, 2005 12:39 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Okay, I think I met Lane on top of Wheeler Peak in Nevada last year. His route map and photos are all good. Freedom Peak is on my list of mountains to climb.



The signature photo is the one that is on the top of the mountain page. It is usually the best photo of the mountain that you have available. To get your photo next to the title, you have to first decide what photo you want to use. When you do, hover your mouse over the picture and an identification number will appear in a yellow box next to the area.



Write this down or remember it. Then click on the edit button on the main page next to your title. Scroll down to I believe the 4th or 5th box where it says signature photo next to it. Type that number into the box and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "do it" button. When you go to the main page, the picture should be next to the title!



I hope this helps.

rockhop23

rockhop23 - Aug 8, 2005 8:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I've added a signature photo. Yes, Lane remembers you from Wheeler. We work at the same place.

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Aug 1, 2005 11:18 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

So that's where the peak is. I'd read about it in the papers, but I had no idea where it was. I figured it was only a matter of time before someone put it up on SP (now I'll have to add it to my 3D Map project).



The page is still a little sparse - like the others said: signature photo (biggie), add more photos to page sections, and put up a specific route, so that others don't have to look through the main page to find it! I'll happily change my vote once changes are made :-D



Another thing: You've only added the Peak to the Wasatch Range (south) section, which is really a subsection of the Wasatch Range. You may want to add it to the Wasatch Range Section as well (as it applies) so that it is more interlinked w/ the rest of the mountain pages.

Scott

Scott - Jan 4, 2006 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Looks good. Could use a weather link.

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'Freedom Peak' main page