Viewing: 1-11 of 11
CharlesD

CharlesD - Feb 4, 2005 6:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hi Britt,



I have to say I think I've changed my mind about this one. It seems like Shikellamy Overlook, Table Rock, and Peter's Mountain are all really the same mountain. I know it's hard to tell with Pennsylvania's long ridgelines, but still. Please don't take this the wrong way; I don't want to stand in the way of your enthusiasm, but couldn't these two overlooks be combined into the general Peter's Mountain page? Surely the access, camping, and so forth are identical.



Just a thought.



Charles



vote changed

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 4, 2005 8:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

They could be combined, but remember how long PA's ridges are? I think they each deserve their own page because they are each individual destinations. Maybe the camping info is the same, but I think they still need their own pages. Let me know your comments and concerns and we'll figure it out. Have a good one!

-Britt

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 4, 2005 8:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Another interesting idea I just thought of was, saying that they don't deserve their own separate pages, is like saying that any mountain doesn't deserve it's own page. Mount Sherman, Sheridan, Horseshoe, and Dyer all have their own pages, but are on the same ridge. I understand that these summits are more prominent, but it's the same idea in Pennsylvania on a smaller scale, in my opinion. Don't take this in the wrong way, but this is just how I feel about the matter. Thank you for your comments and let me know if anything comes to your mind. Thanks again and have a good one!

-Britt

CharlesD

CharlesD - Feb 4, 2005 10:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I think I see part of my confusion, the topo coords for both Shikellamy and Table Rock are the same. Now that I realize where Table Rock is, ('south' of Peters Mountain Shelter), I withdraw my objection more or less and will change my vote. The PA mountains are quite long, but I think it is possible to cover more territory with an individual page. My South Mountain page is an example of what I'm talking about. But individual tastes vary and you're maintaining this state not me.



Mountains like Sherman/Sheridan/etc are indeed all along the same ridge but at least have a couple hundred feet of elevation gain between them. SP just isn't designed around the linearity of Mid-Atlantic mountains.



Off to climb Lady Washington in a bare few hours. Hopefully we'll survive!



Charles

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 5, 2005 12:08 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the comments Charles. I do understand that the mosquito range example was a little far fetched. I hope I didn't sound to stupid. I understand your point of view as well though.



I also would like to wish you the best of luck on your bid for Mt. Lady Washington. Let me know how it went! I'd love to do that one someday when I get back to Rocky Mountain National Park. Thanks so much and you have a good one Charles!

-Britt

BCL

BCL - Feb 4, 2005 9:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I like peaks seperate, no matter how close they are together. Makes it easier to find them in the database. Good start to your page.

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 5, 2005 12:10 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I definitely agree with you on that one. Also, thanks for the vote and see you around. Have a good one!

-Britt

desainme

desainme - Feb 6, 2005 12:20 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good views of the long ridges of the central Appalachians. Looks lilke a good way to spend a winter's day.

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 6, 2005 9:26 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks so much for your kind words and vote! It was a wonderful way to spend a beautiful winter's day. Thanks again and have a good one!

-Britt

Dean

Dean - Feb 20, 2005 1:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Britt, you do a great job with some of these areas that deserve some spotlighting. Pages like this one really help to give others that live in the area or will be visint the area, something to aim for. My wife is a huge Civil War buff and there is a good chance I'll find my self back east in the future with needing something to do and it is going to be pages like this that will help me get out and know where the heck I am going. Thank you.

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 21, 2005 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Dean, thanks so much for your very kind comments. I believe that no matter where you go there are always interesting places to be explored and PA has a lot to offer that many people don't realize. I hope these pages may come in useful to you if you do come back east and maybe if I'm still around here we can take a hike together. Thanks so much again for your kind words and you have a good one Dean!

-Britt

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Shikellamy Rocks and Overlook' main page