Mount Heinen Comments

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
IdahoSummits

IdahoSummits - Jan 12, 2006 7:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

4 stars but it is Mount Heinen, not Heinan.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Jan 12, 2006 10:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks- My original Heinen entry into my personal mountain database in the 1990's had this misspelled. It then propagated to everything else I had.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Jan 12, 2006 10:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks- My original Heinen entry into my personal mountain database in the 1990's had this misspelled. It then propagated to everything else I had.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Jan 13, 2006 12:05 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks- My original Heinen entry into my personal mountain database in the 1990's had this misspelled. It then propagated to everything else I had.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 12, 2006 11:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent post.

Johan Heersink

Johan Heersink - Jan 13, 2006 4:50 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Interesting and complete page!

Super Dave

Super Dave - Jan 13, 2006 3:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page Sean, and great photos from the multiple angles. Of course any page that fits in a “Robie Creek” reference is an automatic 4-star in my book. Thanks for posting.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Jan 13, 2006 6:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks- I thought you'd like the rare "Robie Creek" reference. I'm more into the technical stuff, but I've gotta add some of these local peaks, especially when I see them everyday!

dadndave

dadndave - Jan 14, 2006 1:37 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Interesting page.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jan 15, 2006 5:52 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Interesting. The arrowhead pictures appear a bit too much compressed though.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Jan 15, 2006 3:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the look at this page- the arrowhead pics are directly from a scanner bed. Debateable whether they belong on the page, but it's so rare to find something like those on a mountain ridge and they are 1000-3000 years old!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jan 16, 2006 3:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wasn't meant as critique, rather a tip. If you look at the pictures (especially the broad arrowhead) you'll see "artefacts" close to the blades and shadow outlines further out. This is typical for jpegs stored with too much compression. I assume that your scanner scans into a picture processing program (photoshop or others). When saving from that program you probably can choose compression somewhere. 80% or 90% are ok, everything lower will produce artefacts.



See also my example here

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Sep 19, 2006 1:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Artifacts

Those sure are some nice artifacts! I'm a big collector of Indian Artifacts here in PA and was wondering what the rules are out there. Do they care if you pick them up? Did you find more than just those two artifacts? If so......I'm moving to Idaho! Take care!
-Britt

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Sep 19, 2006 10:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Artifacts

The Antiquities Act quote tells you what the law says. While that act covers any collecting on public land, it's realistically in place to keep known cultural sites from being dug up, and other test pits and excavations from taking place. While walking along a trail or off trail, you may find these items on the surface commonly. To leave them sit there for the next hiker or hunter to pocket, is unrealistic. A way to give back culturally, is to educate, report, and map your findings. If one is so inclined, they may donate collections and pieces to museums during or at the end of a lifetime. In addition, pieces found on private land is not subject to the Antiquities Act. There's lots of private land in this area, including my own.

There's the law, and there's the realistic world we live in. There's a difference between digging up ground in Chaco Canyon and finding the one in a million isolated hunting point on a remote ridge with no recognized cultural significance.

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Oct 8, 2006 4:39 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Artifacts

I understand both of what you guys are saying and I guess it was kind of a dumb question. I knew about the antiquities act, I was just wondering if the artifacts were found right on the trail or just within a short hike of the trail (whether or not they were found at a site). I'm a big collector here in PA and I can see both sides of the story. I always register the sites I find with the PA State Archeaology Site Survey, but don't stop collecting. When I pass away the artifacts which I collect, record, and protect will someday go back to the state anyways. I think it's better to pick them up than have them run over by the plow and broken into thousands of pieces.

The problem here in PA (which I'm sure is the case in many other places) is that there are so many sites along the major river drainages that it would take the state literally thousands of years to excavate all of the major sites that are reported and its better to have some record from amateur findings than none at all. Most of the archaeological information collected has been thanks in a large part to amateur collectors like ourselves. Many sites would in all likelyhood never be discovered if there weren't hobbiests out there. And so, as I said before, I can see both sides of the story. Thanks guys!
-Britt

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Mount Heinen' main page