Viewing: 1-13 of 13
darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Feb 28, 2006 7:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Precious.

Your east route description is just precious. Missing that Entrada sandstone are we?

rpc

rpc - Mar 1, 2006 6:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Precious.

:)
Thank you very much Darin.
Yup - have to climb on simulated Entrada (i.e. Gorge basalt ;)
Thanks for the vote and comments!

cp0915

cp0915 - Feb 28, 2006 8:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Love it.

Good stuff.

rpc

rpc - Mar 1, 2006 6:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Love it.

Thank you very much Courtney!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Feb 28, 2006 8:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Great

"Enjoy the moss", "Cheer up, that's your rap anchor". Too funny. Well, at least it sounds like there is one tree that is solid on the route. :- ) Did you really pay the $3 fee though??

Thanks for adding this. Now I have to add it in to the Gorge page.

rpc

rpc - Mar 1, 2006 6:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great

Thank you very much Brian.
"Did you really pay the $3 fee though?? " What 3 bucks? State park fee or something??? Guess I should read my own links... :)

mandrake

mandrake - Feb 28, 2006 9:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

I'd been curious about this place; had heard it was choss-y. Love the rap anchor...!

rpc

rpc - Mar 1, 2006 6:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

THank you K.!
Yeah, the rap anchor is the highlight though I was surprised to find anything up there at all (were kinda prepared to downclimb at least part of it).

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Mar 1, 2006 12:33 pm - Voted 9/10

For the first time

in months I'm not envious of where you climbed. The weather really just looks like home. The page is your common quality.

rpc

rpc - Mar 1, 2006 6:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: For the first time

Thank you very much Gangolf!
"The weather really just looks like home." Believe it or not, this is relatively good winter weather around here (though it was cold/windy) - as in no rain!
Yeah, the climb has little going for it other than "it's there".

cluck

cluck - Oct 20, 2006 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Just how bad is this?

Trying to decide if this is life threating kind of mossy and loose or just not primo. I climbed the Rabbit Ears over on the side of Table mountain and they were loose and scary, but no moss and the real climbing was only about two moves, while the rest was 3rd/4th. Is this sustained 5.4 crap? Would you give it a try if you were me. I'm up for a little adventure but really don't want to die on something that is just stupidly dangerous.

rpc

rpc - Oct 20, 2006 10:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Just how bad is this?

Cluck, check your inbox. Sent you a pm.

dfwcantor - Oct 9, 2014 7:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Things Change

Nice to see the railroad hasn't chased everyone away from climbing this. Sad about the Rap anchor. When I climbed this last in 1978, that clump of stuff was a living tree - and if you look at old photos from ca 1900 on Yahoo images etc you can see the solitary tree clear back then. You can also see that the Columbia River came clear up to the base of the Pillars - before all the dams. The rotten rock obviously hasn't changed. Thanks for the report.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Pillars Of Hercules' main page