Altyn Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 25, 2009 8:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Curious...

Why didn't you decide to go up the South Slopes across from Many Glacier Hotel? That route is only 1.5 miles as opposed to the 4 miles on the route you took. Is that route closed, or did you just prefer the longer, more scenic route?

I started up that way last month with my one-year-old son on my back, but we encountered two black bears just minutes after starting out. One was maybe 20 yards off to our left, and it didn't seem to mind us, so I kept going. But the second was right on the trail just a short distance ahead, and it was standing up to check us out. I decided to leave the mountain to the bears that day, especially with the baby!

I might mention in your wildlife and red tape section that this part of the park sees especially heavy bear activity. Every day when we were there, there were black and grizzly bears foraging on the slopes of Henkel and Altyn. Seeing a bear on those mountains seems almost guaranteed!

I look forward to seeing the finished page (and seeing pictures of what the bears didn't let me see).

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Sep 30, 2009 7:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Curious...

You got it right, Bob. Who'd prefer slogging up scree versus the "longer, more scenic" route? Not me, for sure! Sometimes it's just nice to enjoy the mountain environment at a leisurely pace, especially when it's as perfect as it was that day. Summer at its best!

distressbark

distressbark - Sep 28, 2009 1:38 am - Voted 10/10

area closure

a few days after your close encounter with the black bears, the south slopes of Henkel and Altyn were closed to prevent human interference during a time of critical weight gain. my understanding is that this is a normal occurrence every year. starting last week in July, we would see bears up on Altyn on a daily basis. closure usually comes sometime in mid-late August. the south slope also tends to be closed for a chunk of June to give the bighorns room to raise their young. might want to mention that as well.

wonderful page, looking forward to adding some photos myself!

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Sep 30, 2009 6:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: area closure

Thanks for adding photos to the page—I incorporated two of them into the body; hope you approve!

distressbark

distressbark - Oct 22, 2009 12:34 pm - Voted 10/10

approved

no need to ask, i'm just glad my photos can help add to some of these pages

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Altyn Peak' main page