Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Corax

Corax - Aug 31, 2006 10:07 am - Voted 10/10

I like

the way you write.
Looks like a wild area.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Aug 31, 2006 4:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting area

And a good comprehensive account.

The mention of Cougar Smith is particularly interesting. We used to have a Cougar Smith Creek on the Island before the government changed its name. This must be one and the same person, since the areas are so close. Whoever he was, he must have had doings on both sides of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Know anything about this character?

Dundeel

Dundeel - Oct 24, 2006 4:28 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Interesting area

The Tacoma Public Library had a reference to a John Andrew Smith, who was a pioneer and logger in the Hood Canal Region. He got his nickname "Cougar Smith" after reportedly killing a cougar with his bare hands near Bremerton. He died in Seattle in 1951 at the reputed age of 109!

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Aug 31, 2006 4:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Excellent job, Paul. Did Michelle accompany you on this one too?

dn

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 31, 2006 7:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Michelle did not go up to the top with me on this or Gibson. She went to the pass here and to Colonel Bob's summit for the latter. She then met me back at the base of Gibson three hours later.

Dundeel

Dundeel - Oct 24, 2006 4:38 am - Voted 10/10

Gray-t page

Great job on the page Paul!

Redwic

Redwic - May 12, 2010 7:10 pm - Hasn't voted

I found an interesting tidbit...

I was looking through my numerous Green Trails maps, and the map (Grisdale, WA #198) showing what we now refer to as "Wynoochee Point" (not to be confused with the CoHP) has that location shown as Pt. 4965, not Pt. 4949. Not that Green Trails maps are always the most reliable, but I found it to be interesting because of the difference in "official" information.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Wynoochee Point' main page