Viewing: 1-13 of 13
boyblue

boyblue - Sep 2, 2013 4:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Write Up!

Very informative and fun to read.
I'm glad (relieved) that the 30 year old memories of my own Mt. Tom trip were still kind of relevant and didn't cause any problems for you and your partner.:-)
-Gordon

hightinerary

hightinerary - Sep 3, 2013 1:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Tom Scat

I had a similar experience the only time I have climbed Mt. Tom, in July 2004. As soon as I got to the summit I could see bad weather rapidly approaching, so I enjoyed the views for only five minutes before beginning my descent.

Ambret

Ambret - Sep 3, 2013 11:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tom Scat

Yes, it would have been nice to be able to linger a bit!

SkydiveKen

SkydiveKen - Sep 4, 2013 6:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Congradulations

I too have been stumped by Mt Tom. I have turned around three times so far, each time by weather. One of these days.......

Ambret

Ambret - Sep 5, 2013 8:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congradulations

Thanks. In retrospect, I might have been smarter to keep a better eye on the weather and perhaps turn back earlier.

mcmurdosound

mcmurdosound - Sep 4, 2013 11:13 pm - Voted 10/10

great

Looks like a great hike. Awesome views. Those mines look pretty cool too! Thanks for sharing.

Ambret

Ambret - Sep 5, 2013 8:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great

The mines look interesting, though I've not had the time/energy to go over and investigate the two in the picture. I suspect that, like the Tungstar Mine, they are blocked up about five feet inside. The Tungstar Mine looks like it used to be a fairly major operation: there was a cable operation to carry ore down about three miles to a processing site at the end of the Pine Creek Valley northwest of Tom.

Bloody Tongue - Sep 5, 2013 12:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Looks beautiful!

Both the hike and the photos look fantastic. This is a wonderfully put-together report!

Ambret

Ambret - Sep 5, 2013 9:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Looks beautiful!

Thanks. I hope it is helpful to others in the same way that I have found a number of Summitpost trip reports useful for planning my hikes.

calipidder

calipidder - Sep 5, 2013 2:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice job!

Feels good to check that one off, eh?

Ambret

Ambret - Sep 5, 2013 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice job!

Sure does -- it would have been hard to get up the will power to try again.

Ruvicha

Ruvicha - Sep 5, 2013 7:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Done that (almost)

I'm truly glad that Ambret got to the top. For one thing, he was determined to check this off his list, and he did. For another, he no longer has any cause to harangue me about climbing it. (Basin, however, remains for another day, but I look forward to that.) The advice you others gave was really helpful in helping Ambret to the summit and me much closer than I anticipated. So, thanks.

Ambret

Ambret - Sep 5, 2013 9:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Done that (almost)

Ruvicha writes off Tom now, but a year ago he wrote off a return to Horton Lake. We'll see.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Climbing Mt Tom via the Southwest Ridge' main page