Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 13, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

getting there

to get to mt Dana from the west take hwy 120 through Yosemite to the east entrance and park in the parking lot just inside the park.this is where you start your hike. From the east take 395 to Lee Vining and turn onto 120 going east. Enter the park and turn right into the parking lot. Thetrail is not marked so just start hiking directly across from the toll booth and u will find a well worn trail, within 100 yards.

the hike

For this hike i highly recommend sunscreen and a hat or glasses.bring 2 liters of water or more on this hike. It is also important to bring a snack for the summit(fiber bar/crackers/apple/etc.)

The hike is 3000 feet in 3 miles, so it is almost straight up all the way. However at the beginning  the first 1/2-3/4 of a mile is gently sloped, but then becomes steep.the trail winds up the hill  and quickly rises above the tree line. from here until the rock structure(2miles) the trail switchbacks up rocks and talus.one you reach the stone wall at the top of the first hill, you can clearly see the summit ahead of you. just a heads up when you reach the part of the trail where it starts going up again into boulders, the trail will disappear and separate in all directions. There are occasional rock statues to guide you, but really you need to just keep going up, and keep right.(the left side of Mt. Dana is a steep cliff:).)

Once you reach the top the views are fantastic!you can see Mono Lake to the north east,Tuolumne meadows and Lembert dome to the west, the southern sierra including mt Lyle to the south, and saddle bag lake to the north. There is no climbers log to sign, or buildings at the summit. However there is a summit marker. The summit is very small,jagged, and narrow with a steep drop on one side. Have fun!

Comments

No comments posted yet.