Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.12140°N / 106.4411°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 24, 2014
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Mount Elbert

  Camden Kirkpatrick here, and I would like to just give you basic info about the climate, tools, and prepardness you need to climb this mountain. First of all when ever you get there be prepared to get thrown around on the road ahead, and be prepared to get dusty. Also whenever you get to the parking lot, down the trail there is a stream that is about 2 feet deep, and 12 feet wide, and there should be a log there that will help you cross. I'm not sure if its still there, but all I can say is count on bringing some water boots. Also bring some bug spray. There is LOTS of mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, and gnats all along that trail. So bring some!!! And you will need lots of water. Except the streams heading down the mountain are actually known as one off the cleanest water sources on the planet. So maybe just in case, bring some water purification tablets, but otherwise bring your own water. And also, there is a small lodge in the back of the trail about a mile up the mountain. Its deserted, but some say that it was a ski lodge until some guy skied straight down the mountain, and fell off a ledge, and fell 200 feet down, and landed smack on top of the lodge. Eventually he died because of injuries. There is a big plot of wood on top of the old lodge that he supposably fell through. The owners closed the lodge, and said that they wouldn't return. Some people say that you can sometimes here moaning, and groaning from the mans ghost. I of course believe in ghosts. The incident occurred in 1945 so it wasn't all that long ago, but just to let you know you can go in. If you want to get bit by a poisonous snake, but still be careful. So when you get by that be prepared for very difficult climbing. Like when you get to about 11,000 feet you will have about 85 degree slopes to climb, so be prepared. I fell about 50 feet down from that one. Worse 50 foot climb back up of my life. So whenever you get to the top, send me a picture from the summit. I would love to see it again. Thanks, and have a good day!

Comments

No comments posted yet.