Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10551 ft / 3216 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Hicks is the 6th highest peak in New Zealand at 3216 m (approx. 10550').  The higher peaks being Aoraki/Mt. Cook 3754 m, Mt. Tasman 3498 m, Mt. Dampier 3440 m, Mt. Vancouver 3309 m, and Silberhorn 3307 m.

Mt. Hicks is located on the Main Divide of the Southern Alps, specifically in the Navigator Range which runs predominantly east-west.  The main peaks on the Navigator Range are Mt. Dampier, Mt. Hicks, and La Perouse 3078 m, there are several minor named summits, Sturdee Pk, Mt. Jellicoe, Mt. Low, Mt Copland, The Nick, The Fang, Dent Noire, and Lyttle Pk, the range ends at Whales Saddle in the west.

With regard to the name Mt. Hicks, the author has been unable to find definitive information on the subject but presumes that Mt. Hicks was named after Zachary Hicks the 2nd Lieutenant under Capt. James Cook on the Endeavour.  This would be consistent with most of the other peaks in the area, the majority of which are named after navigators/explorers. Notably: Mt. Dampier for William Dampier the first Englishman to explore Western Australia (he was also the first person to circumnavigate the globe 3 times) and La Perouse for Jean Francois de Galaup, comte de La Perouse a French explorer. Other peaks in the area named after explorers include Cook, Tasman, Vancouver, Malaspina, Teichelmann, Magellan, Drake, and many others.  Mt. Hicks is also known by the name St. David's Dome.

In general Mt. Hicks is known for its concentration of hard ice routes on the South Face of the peak and some good rock routes on the North Face.

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Routes

First Ascent.  West Ridge. A. Graham, H.E. Newton, R.S. Low; 1906.

Curtain Route

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

When to Climb

Add When to Climb text here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.