Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Remy - Feb 24, 2023 11:45 am - Voted 10/10

Great read, from the guy that dropped his pack.

This was such a fun read over 10 years after the climb. I'm one of the two guys that was in front of you, the one that dropped and left his buddy to fend for him self for a few.
I remember talking to you 2 at the top of the gate. One of you said it was harder then most of the 14ers here. That inspired me to keep going and start bagging. Got 27 so far now and its been a blast. Thanks for that.
About my buddies that call it and waiting for my summit. His day got worse. We came down a stupid way, ended up in this glacier Boulder field trying to figure out how to cross it. Rocks the size of cars or bigger. It was so hard to do after the already incredibly hard climb. See we didn't plan to go to meeker. We was going for longs and since we didn't plan for anything and just kinda tossed our packs into the car and went we ended up turning left at the fork. On top of that we had zero experience, only hiking horsetooth once the week or 2 before. So to say we hurt the next day would be an understatement. Anyway, my buddy called it a day after the boulder field. Told me to go down and get a ranger to get him out. I was na, get up and move its getting late. We finally made it to the car at about 6pm. It was dark when we left. But ill never forget that day and what it got me doing. The view from the top is overwhelming and so humbling. Makes the miles of steep incline worth every blister inducing step and painful breath of increasingly thin air (being a pack a day at the time kinda guy probably didn't help much).
Now I plan better and know the path I'm going unless I'm trying to just get lost for the day.
Hope you guys are doing well.
Justin

myrone

myrone - Mar 2, 2023 7:50 am - Hasn't voted

Remy

Yes, that was me that stated it was harder than many 14er's. Glad you've stuck to it. It took me seven years to complete the 14er's. Good luck!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to '"Mt Meeker East" via Iron Gate from Longs Peak TH' main page