Viewing: 1-12 of 12
jordansahls

jordansahls - May 30, 2007 8:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Great pictures and Report!

Looks like you had a hell of a time, great pictures!

mauri pelto

mauri pelto - May 31, 2007 8:19 am - Hasn't voted

No molehill

I have heard of making a mountain out of a molehill, this time you took a very big moutain and made it into an even bigger one, made me tired just reading of the up and down affair.

rhyang

rhyang - May 31, 2007 11:13 am - Voted 10/10

Wow

Sounds like some serious climbing and lessons learned. Great reading !

Aaron Dyer

Aaron Dyer - Jun 3, 2007 12:51 pm - Voted 9/10

Nice

It's fun to see that I am not the only who likes to make things more complicated. Good job taking two bivies over 13000 on that mountain. If you did it again, do you think you would omit the base camp and just carry over?

m_dquist

m_dquist - Jun 3, 2007 12:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice Trip Report

That really is a shame you didn't go pick up your gear. While a couple hundred dollars of lost gear may be a small price to pay for a fun trip, turning the mountain into a trash heap is.

wvs

wvs - Jun 3, 2007 2:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Agreed

I feel pretty bad about leaving the gear, since I'm the sort who tends to return from a hike with pockets full of other people's trash. I'm still hoping someone local will take the dayhike to retrieve it, and score some decent gear in the process. Clearly in hindsight a carry-over would have been better. These things are learning experiences, and we definitely learned.

MtnGuide

MtnGuide - Jun 4, 2007 3:11 am - Hasn't voted

A+

Challenging route, excellent photos, and outstanding writing!

m_dquist

m_dquist - Jun 4, 2007 11:10 am - Hasn't voted

Gear Pick Up

Could you have hiked back in yourself to grab the stuff afterward?

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Jun 4, 2007 3:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Smart!


Great idea to retreat back to the summit! Seems like you guys knew how to make the right decisions. Great job!!

Idaho Kid

Idaho Kid - Jun 4, 2007 5:00 pm - Voted 9/10

Good Decision

Great story, and good to hear there were lessones learned. Smart thinking to head back up to the summit one last time (I don't think I would have summited again). I am with you, forget the gear at that point just get out safe.

Dan Helmstadter - Jun 6, 2007 3:28 pm - Hasn't voted

good work!

that looks awsome,, my friend skykilo skiied a simialr route up there sunset ridge? i think the same day, maybe you saw him up there,, heres a link to his tr ,, thanks for the tr http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/689661/Main/51541/#Post689661

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 10, 2007 11:37 am - Voted 10/10

"Minor" peak?

I don't understand why so many people consider this mountain to be a minor peak. To me, your excellent trip report illustrates just what a grand and difficult mountain it is.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Mt. Rainier, Mowich Headwall/Face' main page