Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 28, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Whitney Day Hike – July 28, 2011

I planned this trip to climb Whitney since last year. Due to early snow fall of 2010, the Whitney’s Sep trip was put off. Since then the Sierras had been pounded with lots of snow.

By February, I joined the lottery but I was unsuccessful (like most). Then came an opportunity to climb via mountaineers’ route but instead of just doing Whitney, it includes the two neighbouring peaks such as Muir and Russell. Unfortunately, the LA team leader did not realized that for 2011 lottery, all hikers and climbers entering the Whitney zone have to have a permit regardless of the route to be taken. The scheduled attempt was then changed and was not suitable for me, because I would have to take Monday off work.

Luckily I was able to get an unused day pass for 2 pax by calling the Interagency Office south of Lone Pine. I made the arrangement of paying fees, and I seemed to likened the weather prediction on the scheduled day hike.

Instead of joining the group from LA, I decided to just climb Whitney solo if I couldn’t find any hiker that would go with me. I tried my luck posting the event on SHMG and Norcal Peak Hikers. Interestingly, few hikers would love to do it. However I have not climb to any one of them before. As much as I want to do the hike with a hiker known to me but most strong hikers have already done Whitney. I selected a hiker who has done at least 4000 ft, but would a runner be able to do it ? I’ve been told that runners use different muscles, but this gentleman has done Half Dome anyway, so it’s a possibility that this runner may make it to Whitney.

If I recall, when I joined to do the TRT - 165 miles, I was actually rejected in the group because the leader thought that I was not capable of doing hikes in higher elevation. Thanks to Mike Brinkley for his trust in my ability, I bagged the first peak in Desolation which is Ralston.

After logistics were finalized, I met the hiker in the nearest park and ride station a day before the hike. I’ve always been skeptical doing higher altitude hike without acclimation but in this trip I kept my fingers crossed.

Our first stop is Mt. Dana trail. The good thing is that the trailhead starts within 10,000 ft. It is good enough to practice pressure breathing for an hour. We only did less than an hour hike. The traffic getting out of 50 and 89 took few hours of our Mt Dana time.

We then proceeded to pick up the permit as per the instruction by the Ranger Permit Dept to pick it up at the night box by the gazebo. From there we drove to the Whitney Portal TH and car camped. We were supposed to get up before 3AM but I was late getting up (because of the noise and heat inside the car) so we did not start until 4AM.

I was still very sleepy and tired. I had been hiking on two weekends, a Pyramid Pk (5000 ft of elevation gain), followed by solo hiking Tyndall (a 14er) in Independence and several Training Hill trips. I was hard on my body that I couldn’t tell if I needed a break or not.

I’ve always not liking to hike in the evening. I am not used to limited vision specially if its not full moon. Not because of my eyesight but over the years I’ve always been going out with so much lights. In the middle east – the roads are full of lights that when I moved to the US, I was complaining about why there’s not much light on the road.

Anyway, when we started the Whitney trail, my vision was my issue. Several times I stumble but not fall. Because of that I was slower than I expected. I was happy that this hiking buddy was willing to let me know if there are incoming rocks to walkup.

We stop few times for food. But really its not the other hiker who is hungry all the time. Its was me. Im used to eating real food before going to work but this time I had to forego that luxury.

The sun comes up by the time we reached the first camp ground. However I was still in hungry mood. Also worried that if we were moving too fast then we might be effected with the altitude.

There was snow on the trail near the 99 switchbacks but its no big deal. I had done so much snowshoeing and ice walking that I like to see a little amount of snow. It cleans up the dirty boots. A lot of hikers in the switchbacks, few including us were taking breaks. The switchbacks were totally exposed and it was getting hotter. It would have been nice if there were clouds moving in and wind gust like 10mph just to cover the sun but it was a clear day with very little breeze or none at all.

We passed into Sequoia National Park just behind the pinnacles and the views to the west were great but I thought its nothing compared to Shasta but it is amazing enough. A little downhill which to my disappointment as I have to gain that loss back.

The Smithsonian Hut was still nowhere insight. I was really hungry to the point of passing out. All I could think about was a plate of shrimp and chicken chow mein. This trail to Whitney’s summit is really too long and too boring. The ground is sandy with few rocks and hardly any boulders to go through. Its an easy class 1 but with the altitude that everyone has to overcome it.

In a joking way I thought the surveyor at the time of trail building must be on cracked. This trail could be shorten for just a little bit steeper climbing. With few hundred feet away to do, I saw the hut. Fortunately, my hiking buddy carried my heavy backpack. On top of that he carried our two backpacks (am I spoiled), which save me from feeling the pain on my back.

The summit was breathtaking of course. Although I thought of its views were similar when I went to bag White Mountain. The only difference was that White Mountain have the bristle cone trees whilst the Whitney views have the Sequoias and lakes.

The descent was always been my favourite part. If other hikers worry of their knees, I don’t. This time though it was payback. I had been tailing my hiking buddy as he was much faster than me. Downhill I had him tailing behind me. We were going too fast that we passed few hikers if not all of them.

We reached the car park around 5ish. The hikers that were preparing the ascent asked me questions about the hike which I gladly answered.

In conclusion, it was a memorable hike to last a lifetime. I would never forget it since only two of us went up there with such amazing views. I did not feel the effects of the elevation much other than breathing and sun exposed weather. With over 6000 ft of elevation gain in 11 miles is doable for any physically fit person. It was a very enjoyable hike and I recommend that everyone should do it.

Comments

No comments posted yet.