My Montana

My Montana

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Panorama

Just a few photos I would like to share with y'all,

These photos are all from different areas of Montana, my home state.


Colorado is high having more peaks within it's borders than other state.
Wyoming is wide, with the breadth of the plains between the Big Horns and the Grand Tetons.
California is handsome, with a splendor of success. It takes all three adjectives to describe Montana.
-Donald Culross Peattie

From Montana: High, Wide, and Handsome
Joseph Kinsey Howard

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
el guano

el guano - Jun 4, 2009 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks Mike

Montana is nice, but the long winters can really be a drag. I think if I lived in Angleton I wouldn't survive the summers though!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 6, 2009 8:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Very enjoyable

For a non-Montanan, I know the state pretty damn well, but you've showed us some places that are wonderful but unknown to me; I enjoyed looking through the pictures here. And I think I must go see Rock City this summer; I wonder how many times I have driven almost right by!

And I love the quote. However, I'd have kindly suggested to the author that he add the following: wild, sublime, open, free, soul-searing, humbling.

I could probably come up with many more given the time.

el guano

el guano - Jun 6, 2009 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very enjoyable

HI Bob,
Thanks for the comment. I've seen your photos and pages of the Rocky Mountain Front- Awesome. I've lived in MT all my life and I am constantly discovering new wild places just a few short miles from home. I glad you liked my album, and If you want any information about the Locale of Rock City or any place else I would be glad to help.
I would also be happy to climb a peak with you if you're going to be on the Front Range this summer. We got a late spring snow storm last night and the mountains got dumped on between Augusta and Choteau, lots of moisture this season, so hopefully the fires aren't out of control.
Thanks,
Corey

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 16, 2009 6:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very enjoyable

Corey, thanks for the positive remarks about my pages.

I will be in Choteau three nights this August-- I think the 6th, 7th, and 8th. The two full days I am out there, I plan to climb two peaks: the one right above Our Lake (Point 8666 if I remember correctly) and one of the peaks at the head of Jones Creek. The catch: my wife and 11-month-old son will be tagging along part of the way, which might not be too appealing to you (not exactly exciting for me, either). However, the following week, I'll be in Glacier, and several other SP members-- Mike Hoyt, Fred and Moni Spicker, Vern Garner, and maybe some others-- are talking with me about meeting for a climb or two there on an "escape day" for me. If you're interested, that might work out better for your own enjoyment; plus, since it's a long drive to the Front from Choteau and you never know when something kid-related can delay you, there's always the chance of getting the meet and start times messed up. But if you're interested either way, let me know and I'll keep you posted on things as the dates approach.

I'd also like to take you up on your offer about directions for Rock City. I got the DeLorme Montana atlas today, and while I think I've located the general area, it doesn't exactly note the site. But before you spend any time on directions, please consider these two questions: will we need 4wd or high clearance, and will we have to hike more than 2 miles to get in? If the answer to either is "yes," then Rock City is out for us this time.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give, and please keep in touch about interest in any of those climbing days.

--Bob

Viewing: 1-4 of 4