Nagy-Milic / Veľký Milič

Nagy-Milic / Veľký Milič

Nagy-Milic (HU) - Veľký Milič (SK) - 895 m One of the highpoints of Hungary. In fact the very summit (marked with concrete obelisk) is a few meters away from the border stone (white with red paint on the top), completely within the territory of the Slovak Republic. Once a lookout and a flag-holder were here, now there isn't any. Approaching the peak is possible on marked trails from Hungary and Slovakia as well, the last sections follow the border line. Since both countries joined the Schengen Agreement (on the 1st of January, 2008), trespassing the border is free for everyone. (31. Dec. 2009.)
peterbud
on Jan 3, 2010 4:56 am
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Informational
Image ID: 586411

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
yatsek

yatsek - Jan 5, 2010 5:10 am - Voted 10/10

I have a dream

It does look pitiful these days but I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, people still have dreams.
I have a dream that one day on the green hills of Slovakia once known as Upper Hungary, an overwhelming majority of the Slovaks and the Magyars will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.
(Any resemblance to MLK's dream is not coincidental.)

peterbud

peterbud - Jan 5, 2010 7:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I have a dream

I think that under the visible surface the majority of Slovaks and Magyars are quite ready to sit down at that table. It takes only a little bit of respect of the other from each side. At least that is my personal experience.

yatsek

yatsek - Jan 5, 2010 8:28 am - Voted 10/10

Re: I have a dream

Really good to hear this! I hope one day there'll be one structure here again, perhaps this grey concrete pillar will be replaced with a nice little observation tower with the three colourful emblems that are already seen together.

peterbud

peterbud - Jan 5, 2010 9:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I have a dream

I support the idea :)

yatsek

yatsek - Jan 5, 2010 2:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I have a dream

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5