Viewing: 1-4 of 4
JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Sep 18, 2015 8:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Electric charge?

Sometimes these charges can leave welds on rock, called fulgurites. They particularly abound on tall peaks with plenty of local prominence--kind of like a lightning rod. I agree, such scary events leave the wrong impression on an invited guest. But you both survived and that is the main thing. Climb on!

xDoogiex

xDoogiex - Sep 18, 2015 11:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Electric charge?

Looked those up. They look awesome. I've been single since that incident but mountain wise I tried to come back as strong as I could (besides work and work problems making it hard to get out ha)

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Sep 19, 2015 11:06 am - Hasn't voted

Narrowly missed

I've been in the same kind of electric charge and then narrowly missed by lightning moments after I left the area. You need to read up on what to do--On a rocky mountain, definitely don't "lie down" to make yourself a little lower--that just makes you more likely to be killed or permanently injured by ground currents if there is a strike. If you can't get away, you have to strive for a single point of contact to the ground--squatting with your feet together is good, with hands not touching any rock.

xDoogiex

xDoogiex - Sep 19, 2015 12:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Narrowly missed

Thanks for the info. I've always been very good about staying away from lightning danger. That climb took wayyyyy longer then expected

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Near death on the Kelso Ridge' main page