Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Flanders

Flanders - Nov 16, 2008 1:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Very nice Sir

Can't wait until next year!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 16, 2008 5:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice Sir

Glad you found it acceptable. Now I start working on the TR from last year's trip to the North Cascades. I may require your help on things I've forgotten.

For next year, get ready to do some real backpacking with no basecamp! Oh yeah.

Flanders

Flanders - Nov 17, 2008 11:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very nice Sir

Just remember that I beat you to the top of all those summits as well ;)

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 18, 2008 12:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice Sir

Whatever you need to tell yourself, Slick.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Nov 17, 2008 6:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 17, 2008 6:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thanks, we always have a great time on these hikes. I always enjoy my trips out East to see new places and hang out. Glad you enjoyed the TR and thanks for the vote!

Brian

nartreb

nartreb - Nov 18, 2008 9:40 am - Voted 10/10

coyote, fox, marten

4000 feet is well within the range of all three.

Coyote are big, like German Shepherds (but with a more slouching posture). They often travel in groups, and walk in a loping style. So far the coyotes in the Whites have been very shy; this would be the first I've heard of one hanging around a campsite.

fox are smaller, often reddish, with bushy tails that are about as long as the body. They're famously light on their feet - their movement is just smooth and graceful. The ones in the Whites have learned to raid campsites for food.

martens are quite small, and (when they're not climbing trees) they move in a bounding style like their relatives weasels and otters. If it moves like a marten but it's larger and darker (and it's not an otter), it's a fisher.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 18, 2008 2:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: coyote, fox, marten

Thanks nartreb,

I'm familiar and have seen all of them before. We have coyotes in our yard at times and I've seen them from about cocker spaniel size to dang near wolfsize.

I'm betting it was a fox. Used to have those in our yard in Illinois and what we saw at Guyot seemed bigger than a marten. Plus, with what you say about them learning to raid the campsites, that would seem most likely. I only caught a glimpse of it though.

Surprised to hear the coyotes in the Whites are shy. Used to have a family of them in the backyard here and they would walk around howling all night. I think they are amazing with how adaptive they are. In our neighborhood they are quite small but in the Columbia Gorge I've seen huge ones. And I know their reproductive cycle goes up and down with attempts to eradicate them. Amazing.

Thanks much,
Brian

nartreb

nartreb - Nov 18, 2008 3:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: coyote, fox, marten

Eastern coyotes are 30-50 lbs (OK, not as big as a G. Shepherd), about double the size of their western cousins, and carry a dose of wolf DNA. The entire Eastern population is recent; most of New Hampshire had no coyotes prior to 1970. The year-round hunting season is probably the biggest reason for their shyness in New Hampshire. I've heard them howling, and think I've seen tracks (hard to be sure, could have been domestic dog), but not seen one yet.

Flanders

Flanders - Nov 21, 2008 12:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: coyote, fox, marten

If it was a fox, it was a big one as it's head was probably mid-thigh or higher when it looked up. I was able to get good light on the face 2 times as it moved around camp but when it went sideways I couldn't get anything more than siloutees. Couldn't even make out color.

All I know is it really didn't want to leave but wasn't keen on making a charge so in the end we got to keep our food.

Something else surprising was the caretaker said bears weren't an issue at Guyot and we were basically sleeping with our packs. Not used to that either.

nartreb

nartreb - Nov 21, 2008 2:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: coyote, fox, marten

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that bears haven't caused any trouble at most campsites in the Whites yet. They're around, and they're hungry:
bear chases moose

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'New England Summitfest #4' main page