North Arête Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
rhyang

rhyang - Sep 8, 2009 2:06 am - Voted 10/10

Route photo

There is a route photo in Mammoth Area Rock Climbs (3rd edition, Marty Lewis & John Moynier, 2004) showing various climbs in relation to the north face / north arete.

Peter Croft's book doesn't say much, and we actually started on the North Face (5.8) instead of the north arete (oops, that's why it seemed so hard ! Thought it was those old-school ratings :) Wish I'd brought a copy of that picture with me ..

Diggler

Diggler - Sep 8, 2009 12:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route photo

So did you do that nice, longer-looking .8 corner to the L of the standard start? I remember that looked like it would be fun! What did you think of the climb? Awesome that you're getting back on progressively harder stuff, Rob. The sky's the limit! I think that one of SP's prime benefits is that you can find images that are perhaps even more informative than those found in guidebooks. Overview photos with route overlays are great & all, but if you have a photo showing the start of a route as it looks when you're actually standing at the base, it can be way more beneficial than an overlay photo taken from across the valley, the perspective of which is completely different than when you're actually at the base trying to figure out where you are.

rhyang

rhyang - Sep 8, 2009 1:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Route photo

Ya, I posted a picture of the corner we started on. I noticed afterwards your picture of the start of the route, which would have helped if I'd printed it out and brought it with me :)

Anyway, the pic I'm talking about is on p. 122 of the book, labelled "Highland Wall" and has enough detail to identify which route is which. It was a lot more informative than Peter Croft's description.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'North Arête' main page