North Couloir Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
benners

benners - Jun 11, 2012 2:44 pm Date Climbed: Apr 8, 2012

Steep and Fun  Sucess!

Climbed and skied this route, all good except for one discontinuity near the summit ridge. Definitely a steep route! Mike, the jelly beans were great.

Hoot - Apr 18, 2012 10:54 pm Date Climbed: Apr 15, 2012

Good snow in a dry year

Chris and I climbed Mount Arkansas via the North Couloir on Saturday. The snow conditions in the couloir were excellent - easy kicks for solid feet. The couloir felt around 40-45 degrees most of the way up, closer to 45 degrees near the top where we had to work around one thin patch with exposed rocks. The overhanging cornice was easy to bypass on the left. The summit (Colorado #108) was about 30 feet above the top of the couloir. From the summit we followed the ridge south a bit and then got in a long glissade after an easy initial down climb in crampons. Snowshoes were not required on the approach but were very much required on the exit - and we didn't have any! The weather was much nicer than predicted. It was a very fun climb and an enjoyable day (except for the post holing).

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Apr 8, 2012 6:28 pm Date Climbed: Apr 8, 2012

Easter Fun  Sucess!

North Couloir with Darin, also ran into some friends that were up there skiing. We all shared Peeps and jelly beans for an Easter summit celebration. Top of the couloir was melting out and made it tough on them on their ski descent. Low snow year in Colorado. Second time up this peak.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'North Couloir' main page