Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Trailnerd - May 23, 2011 6:06 pm - Hasn't voted

North Country Trail updates

For maps of the North Country Trail in Chief Noonday Country, see http://www.northcountrytrail.org/cnd/trailmaps.htm
The "rough trail to Keller Road" cited in the Barry State Game Area section has been withdrawn from the North Country Trail. Too bad, because it was a nice trail, but the private land owner was having trouble with unauthorized equestrian activity on his land and declined to renew the agreement we'd had with him.
In the Yankee Springs Recreation Area section, we don't really consider the Bassett Lake Road crossing to be a trailhead. We used to have a trail kiosk there (2, actually), but they both disappeared -- and we gave up. Even our Carsonite posts get shot up.
However, a mile west of the Bassett Lake Road crossing there is a trailhead at McDonald Lake with a trail kiosk directly on the North Country Trail. It is accessible from M-179 via the old Norris Rd 2-track, which is in better shape to drive on than Bassett Lake Road. There is a parking area nearby -- plus a boat landing for McDonald Lake.
In the Middleville State Game Area, the NCNST in the MSGA can be accessed from near the Parmalee Rd and Harris Creek Rd intersection via a 2-track south that crosses about a 1/4 mile strip of private land. Hiking on that 1/4 mile strip is not authorized by the land owner, but there is little if any likelihood that anyone will stop you.
Enjoy the North Country National Scenic Trail!
Mick Hawkins
Webmaster, Chief Noonday Chapter
North Country Trail Association

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'North Country Trail - MI-02 North Segment Trailheads' main page