North Face Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Sep 19, 2015 1:50 pm Date Climbed: Sep 17, 2015

Needle Rock  Sucess!

With Liba. Scenic Cruise in the Black one day, north face of Needle Rock the next...what the contrast. Of course the rock is bad, this is a volcanic plug. But it also is a must tower bag if you are into that sort of thing. I started the north face on the ramp 50' west of the main corner. But instead of traversing, went straight up just after traversing one meter left of the lone bolt. Above the bolt there are two Kor aged pitons just hanging out of the rock. This rock is so fragile I do not advise attempting to go straight up, I down climbed from it. When you move left one meter into the gully feature, the rock is not much improved, but at least you do not have to jug on it as much. I passed a piton and an old rap station on top, so this line might even be the original. The current acceptable rap is several meters to the left when you land the ledge below the summit block. One nut and one bolt. One rope makes it down no worries. A summit register had one dollar bill in it, nothing else. Had Joe Cocker tunes in my head the entire day.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'North Face' main page