Notre-Dame-du-Roc

Notre-Dame-du-Roc

The village of Castellane on the Route Napoléon is dominated by this impressive 184 m/611 ft. rock on top of which there is a chapel to Our Lady. Standing here at the edge of the village square it looks as a very difficult climb, which it must be directly up this face of the rock, but there is a quite easy path up the left side, which we took (there being no ferrata).
Ejnar Fjerdingstad
on May 26, 2007 10:36 am
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 296060

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 26, 2008 10:24 am - Voted 10/10

Vive la France !!!

It's one of those impressive rocks that gives the impression of difficulty? This would be a great place to have a Sp-clubhouse or fortress. We could construct one right next to the church. Each person could bring up bricks or building materials in a backpack. After we get going, some of the rebellous people who choose not to follow rules can do their time in the church. Do you think the village of Castellane is prepared for this? I like the fact that motorcycles are used extensively in this part of Europe. I don't agree with the way some of my American neighbors are buying up all the high-priced gasoline! There's too much dependancy and not enough responsibility! Have a nice day, Ejnar!
- Larry

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Mar 28, 2008 9:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Vive la France !!!

Well, it certainly would be very difficult from the side you see here, although from the standard path is a (steep) walk-up. Actually it has been used as a natural fortress where all the inhabitants would flee if the town was attacked, especially around the year 1000, when the Moors would make raids quite deep inland (it's about 30 miles from the coast). The path up is completely exposed to view from the top, and there is no lack of rocks of any size to roll down on the heads of attackers. Nowadays, however, it is a place of pilgrimage, and I'm sure the Church would take a dim view of anybody trying to make any changes up there (for all I know they may even own the summit area!).
You are right, there is a lot of motorcycles here, living a dangerous life weaving in and out between the cars, but the summer weather is ideal for motorcycling.
Have a nice day too!
Ejnar

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 28, 2008 12:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Astonishing ...

I must complement you on your grasp of History! In the history book I am reading, it says that the 'Route Napolean' is the road on which Napolean Bonaparte travelled to Lyon to regain power after his stay on the Isle of Elba in the Mediterranean Sea.
This is also where the 'Verdon Gorges' begin? I wasn't aware that the Church has such a powerful influence in this area. Of course, I didn't mean to offend anybody; I was just trying to obtain some historic facts. I understand that HUMANITY has been involved in BATTLES since the dawn of time. The Mountains Remain!!! !!!! Thanks, Ejnar!
- Larry

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Mar 30, 2008 9:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Astonishing ...

Yes, the Route Napoléon, a very good highway, follows the path Napoleon took on his way back from Elba, but it was then just narrow footpaths, which he used because he (correctly) assumed that the main roads would be blocked by royalist forces. He only had 800 man with him, and near Grenoble he was met by a large royalist force. Realizing that he couldn't fight them, he went in front of his flock, and opening his greatcoat called out, "Soldiers, who among you will be the first to shoot on your Emperor?" Nobody did, instead they all went over to him. He reached Paris, and assumed the imperial throne (if only for 100 days), without a single person being killed!

Yes, Castellane is the gate to the Verdon, the largest canyon in Europe (although only half as deep as your Grand Canyon).

You didn't offend me (I'm not religious), but I just thought that the Church might be, since the top of the rock is a holy place for them.
The history of this area is certainly one of much fighting, also under WWII.
Best wishes,
Ejnar

Viewing: 1-4 of 4