Viewing: 1-16 of 16
isaacholk

isaacholk - Feb 22, 2010 10:10 pm - Voted 10/10

That theyah...

Was some good readin'. Yes sir, had me some good sittin' time with that. Perhaps I will illustrate (from memory) our next adventure. And yes, I totally used your photo for my profile picture. Finally got this thing to work!

Joe White

Joe White - Feb 22, 2010 11:17 pm - Voted 10/10

wow!

Thanks for sharing. your pictures are so clear, bright, and amazing! What kind of a camera do you use?

Holk

Holk - Feb 23, 2010 3:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: wow!

Thank you very much Joe, I'm glad you liked them. I hauled my hunker of a digital SLR up, a Canon 7D, along with two lenses, a 10-22mm wide angle and a 70-200mm telephoto.

billisfree

billisfree - Feb 23, 2010 2:35 am - Hasn't voted

Wind conditions

I was to have been climbing the same day as you. I got to the parking lot about 11pm. When I realized the conditions, I knew I was not even going to try to leave the parking lot.

That is great post and very informative to me. You didn't say what the winds were like on the way down. Did they pick up again? When? How fast? I know from sailing experience that winds would much rather go AROUND a hill than OVER it. I'm guessing the same is true on mountains.

There's NO WAY I would be climbing the last 400 feet to the summit if I knew that ice chunks were falling down.

Holk

Holk - Feb 23, 2010 3:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wind conditions

I see that unlike me you are not a procrastinator; I was just getting up from a two hour "rest" at 11pm. The ice chunks above the Hog were a bit concerning, but at no point did we feel threatened by them. As for the winds, it certainly was chilly on our climb down, but the winds weren't even half as intense by 3:00pm. Thank you for the kind words about the post.

billisfree

billisfree - Feb 23, 2010 12:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Eye froze shut?

Often times when I climb I sometimes get a blurry vision in one eye.

It's one of the effects of high altitudes. HACE? It usually goes away in a bit. Just don't climb too fast.

Holk

Holk - Feb 23, 2010 7:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Eye froze shut?

No HACE, my eye just literally froze shut. I had it closed while shooting and the high winds/cold temps mixed with the moisture from my eye and fused my lashes together.

JimLundblad - Feb 23, 2010 11:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Yo, Mateys

Nice pictures- yes I appreciate the nickname. I got frostbite on my cheek! Fun day, sorry I didn't stick with you but my foot hurt and I had to get my boots off so skied in a bee line to the car. I will post some video someplace when I get some editing time.

-Jim

Holk

Holk - Feb 24, 2010 1:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Yo, Mateys

Holy cow! I'm glad to hear you made it down safely overall and don't worry about making a quick escape, that is totally understandable. That frostbite sounds horrible and hearing about it made me look up treatment options in an ehow article; I hope you're already on the mend.

stevelundblad - Mar 6, 2010 9:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yo, Mateys

Be careful if the Dread Pirate Roberts volunteers to lead you up the north face of Mt. Stuart...

EastKing

EastKing - Feb 25, 2010 12:14 am - Voted 10/10

Great trip!!

Good getting early beta on the Old Chute. Pictures are fantastic!! Congratulations!!

Holk

Holk - Feb 25, 2010 1:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great trip!!

Thanks. You have some great shots yourself! I also like your take on climbing.

Adayak

Adayak - Mar 2, 2010 9:27 am - Hasn't voted

Awesome pics

Love that silhouette picture of Isaac - those are great shots.

Holk

Holk - Mar 4, 2010 9:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome pics

Thank you for the compliments.

Mr. Clam

Mr. Clam - Mar 3, 2010 12:31 am - Voted 10/10

A great day

Nice write up and cool pics! Glad to hear you guys made to the top and back safely!

Holk

Holk - Mar 4, 2010 9:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A great day

Thanks! Same to you. That sounded like a lot of fun camping and going at it twice.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Old Chute 2010 Winter Ascent' main page