Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.56703°N / 78.33095°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 29, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Old Rag - Ridge trail
Old Rag Mountain 

I didn't expect too many people here on black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, plus it was a little colder than usual, maybe in the low 30's. The parking lot was about half full when I arrived at 8:30 am and about 80% full when I returned at 12:30 pm;  more people than I expected. I understand why this is one of the most popular hikes in the mid-Atlantic. I did the loop, up the blue blazed Ridge Trail and down on the yellow blazed Weakley fire road. It's  about 10 - 11  miles in total when you add in the walk from the parking lot to the trail head. 

The trails were great. The hike up the Ridge trail was nice and there is some fun bouldering and scrambling near the summit. It would be great hike for kids in their early teens looking to find some outdoor adventure. I wish I had spent more time near the summit and explored a little. There was a fair amount of ice so it slowed down the hike a little but not terribly. There were people of all ages, some with no back packs, some with sneakers and shorts, some bundled up for Arctic conditions; all ages, all experience levels. The views were excellent from the top (I'll try to post some pictures).  

The route down on the fire road is very gradual and relaxing. There is a nice stream that runs along side the road towards the end of the trail. Lot's of people were walking up via the fire road, mostly families with younger kids. 

It's a great hike for people of most ages, except the youngest might find the scrambling over the summit a bit much for short legs. 


  


Comments

No comments posted yet.