Old to the new Ice/5

Old to the new Ice/5

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Ice Climbing

Pogressively Overview

"From the old to the new technique of climbing ice"




From the old technique of climbing on ice with lateral progression, even the ancient way to make the climbs without even crampons (see the great Péuterey Crest or Spur Brenva Mount Blanc), it is passed to a type of climbing more vertically through innovation made ​​by tools, such as to allow a more immediate and safe progression. But the big climbs were also carried out via the first and not even have ice screws for which the security thing came from the way of knowing insert the handle of the ax in the snow lasts, or the ability to support the bill that also had the same aims to cut the steps on the "verglass" So when you met this unpleasant factor compulsorily progression became somewhat slower and at the same time much less secure, requiring small displacements of 20/25 cm. for each support built in ice. The imperative was to not slip because the ice screws did not exist and the first built (semi-tubular and smooth both inside and outside ) provided a more psychological security that practice. When the first came, "Stubai" (corkscrew to all intents and purposes) seemed to have something perfect but in fact tested with falls to "tear" even for a short amount revealing their weak side (and obscure) twisting ominously on whether themselves. Fortunately I never had to figure out what their limit. Certainly in the years immediately after you register a strong growth of materials and as a result of technical progress on ice; We are in the early Seventies when the evolution leads to another type of climbing: no longer with crosswise climb, but , in any case, thanks to the emergence of direct piolet-traction with a tool, the ax, completely changed in his essence. In Italy there are various Giancarlo Grassi, Gianni Comino, Renato Casarotto and others to experience it, while in France is born, perhaps ahead of ours, a French school with Parick Gabarrou, Jean-Pierre Albinoni, Jean-Marc Boivin, Walter Cecchinel and others. It is precisely this last, with an other French Mountain Guide Claude Jager, to make an extraordinary undertaking on the North of the Drus to score a new limit. Concludes the period of climbing on artificial ice through brackets and small scales began in the Forties and lasted for about thirty years (see Via Chiara to Ciarforon, Direct Diemberger on the Northwest Wall of Gran Paradiso, at Northern Face of Roccia Viva etc.); now the new tool makes it obsolete, slow, heavy and not the most interesting. But it is another matter, since we are talking about old techniques and a classic way to tackle the mountain glaciers in its aspects.
I remember one particular during the climb to Brenva 1969: in that year the output was made directly on the serac right end which was nice and shiny with ice. We did not have insurance then made nails and putting the ash handle in the middle of my "Grivel"; a French party that awaited impatiently the isle underlying told us that if we left them to pass, they would leave us a nail in the final stretch. So we did, going out with crampons that emitted sparks during the friction with the ice, and I still have that "Simond" (a corkscrew a little more robust) to my house. The crampons spikes became 10 to 12, but the front were directed downstairs to allow climbing on mixed terrain. Required a use and a particular skill because, not having to take them off and put them back each time, were also used in the transfer from ice to rock climbing and vice versa. In fact we were doing so used that gave you even bother taking them off. By now you were part of a single block, and when the ice was going to end up on the rocks, "Pas de problème" you continued to climb over the rocks like walking into the living room of your house; then if the same were covered with black ice you approached also an appreciation for what you have been prudently intelligent. "C'est la vie", in such situations, which would send out "hinges" normal people, we are content really just ...
Other times you met other "surprises": no ice nor snow pretty hard and transformed, but, worse still, small ridges or slopes formed by powdery snow and inconsistent; putting the ax in which ogle saw a small black hole that you were warned that proceeding pending on anything. Maybe with 600 metres behind his back. So you did not see its time to get out of that "shit-hole" (so they said) anxiously counting the meters that separated you from the Top or from the summit ridge and secure.

North wall - Still in the...
Curtain III Emilius North Face New & Direct Route 1980
MOUNT BLANC Brenva at beginning of the terminal serac


Dalla vecchia tecnica di salita in ghiaccio con progressione laterale, anzi dall'antico modo di effettuare le salite senza neppur i ramponi (vedi la grande Cresta del Péuterey o lo Sperone della Brenva al Monte Bianco), s'é passati ad un tipo di salita più in verticale grazie all'innovazione apportata dagli attrezzi, tale da consentire una progressione più immediata e sicura. Ma grandi salite sono state effettuate anche tramite la prima e senza neppure disporre di chiodi da ghiaccio per la quale cosa la sicurezza derivava dal modo di sapere infilare il manico della piccozza nella neve dura, oppure delle capacità di appoggio del becco della medesima che inoltre aveva lo scopo di tagliare i gradini sul "verglass". La paletta serviva invece per scavare la piazzola tra un tiro di corda ed il successivo; da lì in trepida attesa effettuavi l'assicurazione, magari infilando una gamba in una provvidenziale crepaccetta. Quindi quando incontravi questo spiacevole fattore obbligatoriamente la progressione diventava alquanto più lenta e nello stesso tempo molto meno sicura, richiedendo dei piccoli spostamenti di 20/25 centimetri per ogni appoggio costruito nel ghiaccio. L'imperativo era quello di non scivolare anche perché i chiodi da ghiaccio non esistevano ed i primi costruiti (semitubolari e lisci sia all'interno che all'esterno) fornivano più una sicurezza psicologica che pratica. Quando arrivarono i primi "Stubai" (dei cavatappi a tutti gli effetti) sembrava di avere a disposizione qualcosa d'ottimale ma in effetti collaudati con cadute a "strappo" anche di breve entità rivelavano il loro lato debole (ed oscuro) torcendosi sinistramente su se stessi. Fortunatamente non ho mai dovuto capire quale fosse il loro limite estremo. Certamente negli anni subito successivi si registra un forte sviluppo dei materiali e di conseguenza delle tecniche di progressione su ghiaccio; siamo agli inizi degli anni Settanta quando l'evoluzione porta ad un altro tipo di arrampicate: non più con salita traversale, bensì, ed in ogni caso, diretta grazie alla nascita del piolet-traction con un'attrezzo, la piccozza, completamente cambiato nella sua essenza. In Italia sono i vari Giancarlo Grassi, Gianni Comino, Renato Casarotto ed altri a sperimentarli, mentre in Francia nasce, forse precedendo la nostra, una scuola francese con Parick Gabarrou, Jean-Pierre Albinoni, Jean-Marc Boivin, Walter Cecchinel ed altri. Sarà proprio quest'ultimo, insieme all'altra Guida francese Claude Jager, con un'impresa straordinaria sulla Nord dei Drus a marcare un limite nuovo. Si conclude il periodo dell'arrampicata artificiale sul ghiaccio tramite staffe e scalette iniziata negli anni Quaranta e protrattasi per un trentennio circa (vedi Via Chiara al Ciarforon, diretta Diemberger alla Nordovest del Gran Paradiso, Nord della Roccia Viva ecc.); ormai il nuovo attrezzo la rende obsoleta, lenta, pesante e non più interessante. Ma trattasi d'altro discorso, poiché qui si parla di vecchie tecniche e d'un modo classico per affrontare la montagna nei suoi aspetti glaciali.

South ... To Bousson Summit Western Shoulder 1980
Ciarforon North Face and Normal Routes 3642m
Exit out from North icy Wall


Ricordo un particolare durante la salita alla Brenva del 1969: in quell'anno l'uscita si effettuava direttamente sul seracco finale che era bello diritto e con ghiaccio lucido. Noi non avevamo chiodi e effettuai l'assicurazione infilando il manico in frassino a metà della mia "Grivel" in una occasionale "feritoia" di 40/50 cm. nel ghiaccio; era tutta la nostra sicurezza su quel muro lucido formato da vaschette lavorate dal vento e con l'abisso della Brenva sotto ai pedi. Una cordata francese, che attendeva impaziente nell'isolotto sottostante, ci disse che, se li lasciavamo passare, ci avrebbero lasciato un chiodo nel tratto finale. Così facemmo, uscendo con i ramponi che emettevano scintille nell'attrito con il ghiaccio, e conservo ancora quel "Simond" (un cavaturaccioli un poco più robusto) a casa mia. I ramponi da 10 punte diventarono a 12, ma le anteriori erano rivolte dabbasso onde consentire la salita su terreno misto. Richiedevano un uso ed una abilità particolari poiché, per non dover ogni volta toglierli e rimetterli, venivan utilizzati anche nel trasferire l'arrampicata dal ghiaccio alla roccia e viceversa. Anzi ci facevi talmente l'abitudine che ti dava persin fastidio toglierli. Ormai facevan parte di te in un blocco unico e quando il ghiaccio andava a finire contro le rocce, "Pas de problème" continuavi a salire sopra le rocce come camminando dentro al salotto di casa tua; se poi le stesse erano ricoperte di ghiaccio vivo ti rivolgevi anche un apprezzamento per quanto eri stato previdentemente intelligente. "C'est la vie", in simili situazioni, che manderebbero fuori dai "gangheri" le persone normali, ci si accontenta veramente di poco ...
Altre volte invece incontravi altre "sorpresine": niente ghiaccio e neppure neve bella dura e trasformata, ma, ancora peggio, delle crestine o pendii formati da neve farinosa ed inconsistente; infilando la piccozza nelle quali vedevi occhieggiare un piccolo buco nero che ti avvisava che stavi procedendo sospeso su niente. Magari con 600 metri dietro la schiena. Allora non vedevi proprio l'ora di uscirne fuori da quel "merdaio" (così si diceva) contando ansiosamente i metri che ti separavano dalla Cima o da una cresta sommitale e sicura.


News

"First you have to go up then take a look all around, a glance, then it goes down to the New"


<b>Galisia  & Bousson</b> from Lavassey/Fond Glaciers 1980
Mont Velan after SE Gully
Mont Vélan


Walter Cecchinel, with Claude Jager, in the winter ascent of the gully to the North of the Drus had in '73, thanks to new gear, opened a new frontier in ice climbs, in seemingly eclipsing the Great of the past. I realized two years later on the North Ciarforon in summer 1979, uphill personally several times and then be able to give me a "comparaison" accurate and valid. When we arrived at the Refuge Emanuele all the more bling, I do not know which school they were climbing wall; the lowest one was located under the groove. A quick sip of water from the fountain, the rapid crossing of the Glacier Montcorvé and direct attack. We went out first, despite the long delay of departure. A hammer ice "Dhaulagiri" allowed to plant the tool and pull the same. Revolutionary. But it seemed to me to "steal". I went back to do it again the next year with friends Fénis, drawing the same conclusions: now this type of ascent no longer had any sense; all factors were reversed and the flattening was really depressing. I thought of the past with the Great melancholy, skills that went from great strength and coordination skills to ... I gave to other climbs. Certainly less mundane and more thrilling.
Then came New Generations and their new materials and new techniques: the logical continuation in Life and therefore also in the mountaineering. Of course, if you encounter a vertical crevice, like the many that exist in the Tribolazione (Tribulation) Glacier at Gran Paradiso Eastern side, in Cogne Valley, you never have to make a circumnavigation ((if you "run bad" even three or four) of maybe a mile around it back on the right path. Here with four shots of ice ax and crampons on the wall pointing well exceed it in an instant. Smoothly.

<font color=red><b>AOSTA s </font>VALLEY in <font color=blue>SUMMITS</font> <font color=green>LUSENEY</FONT> NORTH<font color=red> FACE </font>Superdirect route</b>
Ciarforon North Face and Normal Route 3642m
Becca di Luseney


Walter Cecchinel, insieme a Claude Jager, nella salita invernale della goulotte alla Nord dei Drus nel '73 aveva, grazie a nuovi attrezzi, aperto una nuova frontiera nelle salite in ghiaccio, apparentemente eclissando i Grandi del passato. Me ne resi conto due anni dopo sulla Nord del Ciarforon nel 1979, salita personalmente diverse volte e quindi in grado di darmi una "comparaison" precisa e valida. Quando arrivammo all'Emanuele tutte le cordate di non sò più qual scuola di alpinismo eran tutte in parete; quella più in basso era situata sotto il canalino. Una rapida sorsata d'acqua alla fontana, l'attraversamento veloce del Ghiacciaio di Montcorvé e l'attacco diretto. Uscimmo per primi, nonostante il grande ritardo di partenza. Un martello da ghiaccio "Dhaulagiri" permetteva di piantare l'attrezzo e tirare sul medesimo. Rivoluzionario. Però mi sembrava di "rubare". Tornai a rifarla l'anno dopo con gli amici di Fénis, traendone le stesse conclusioni: ormai questo tipo di salite non avevano più "sugo" alcuno; tutti i fattori venivano capovolti e l'appiattimento era veramente desolante. Pensai ai Grandi del passato con malinconia, alle abilità che passavano da grandi capacità coordinative alla forza e ... mi diedi ad altre salite. Sicuramente meno banali e con più thrilling.
Poi sono arrivate Nuove Generazioni e con loro nuovi materiali e nuove tecniche: la logica prosecuzione nella Vita e quindi anche in quella alpinistica. Certamente se incontri un crepaccio verticale, come i tanti esistenti nel Ghiacciaio della Tribolazione (proprio da tribolare) sul lato Orientale del Gran Paradiso, in Val di Cogne, non devi più effettuar magari un periplo (se ti "gira storta" anche tre quattro) d'un Kilometro per aggirarlo tornando sulla retta via. Qui con quattro piccozzate ben date e puntando i ramponi sul muro lo superi in'un' attimo. Agevolmente
.

<I><B><FONT COLOR=GREY>ANCIENT SILVER MINE</FONT></B></I>
The Drool
33 ROUTES OF MONTE EMILIUS (3559m)



Comments

No comments posted yet.