Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 22.30943°S / 42.68188°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 26, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Fall

The first mountain trip in 2008

In Brazil, the mountain season is open and we didn’t lose time. The first challenge was the overnight at the top of Pico Médio, Salinas Region, Rio de Janeiro. The Fall as known here how “the colourful season”, because the approaching of cold air from the south, turning the lights incredible.

Pico Menor(2262m) and Médio(2300m)Menor at left 2265m and Médio a right 2300m


We decided to climb Tres Picos Group in April 26 and bivouac at the top without tent, carrying light backpacks in the hard trail to the top. Leaving the base camp, at Paulo Mascarin’s Hut, 4 km of a very hard ascent, slippery and sometimes exposed, we spent 4 hours walking to the top, resting in good places to look the impressive views of the way.

Vale dos DeusesVale dos Deuses - Gods Valley
Reaching the topOn the top of Médio


We reached the top at 5PM, few minutes before the sunset, feeling the force of the wind from the northwest, dropping the wind-chill to below zero. There is a small place to sleep over there, between the two summits of Pico Médio, a place protected by the local vegetation.

The trail has three points of attention: The first is in the km 2,5, an exposed 3rd class, without ropes or crampons to fix it. Adherence is all in this sleeky passage. The second danger passage is in the turn of the last ascent to Pico Menor, at km 3,5 but there is a rope to help to cross this muddy ramp. Without the rope, it is almost impossible to rise. The last danger point is the passage of Menor to Médio, needing to fix a rope to go down and to return. The rock is totally slippery and sleek.
The team completes the trail with safety and we returned to the base camp at 9AM of April 27.

Pico Maior at SunsetSunset looking to Pico Maior 2316m


We were the first team in 2008 to overnight on the top of mountains in Salinas 2008. The temperature on the mountain wasn't very cold (7°C) but the wind transform the place in a real "Freezer". At night, inside the sleeping bag we didn't felt cold, but the weather was moist, tranforming the sensation unconfortable.

The vegetation in this season is incredible, with a lot of colors and effects. Flowers, bugs, mammals and birds...all of them, very happy.
FlowersFlowers on the trail
The Leaf BugLeaf Bug


The Team: Marcelo(Mountainfriend), Andre and Humberto Calfa.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
peterbud

peterbud - Apr 29, 2008 6:11 am - Hasn't voted

Brings back

good memories from this place! Keep loving nature! Peter

Mountainfriend

Mountainfriend - Apr 29, 2008 6:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Brings back

Thanks Peter!!!

Paulo sent to you regards and said that you are welcome ever!!!
Can you imagine, we slept over the mountain without tents and windy? The lower temperature was 7°C plus 25 - 40 km/h of wind.

Cheers!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2