Orange-red colored rock

Orange-red colored rock

Orange-red colored rock on the way up the east ridge to Hoyt Mountain. My guess is that the color comes from fire retardants that must have been dumped on that mountain from airplanes during one of the recent wildfires. March 9, 2008
SoCalHiker
on Mar 11, 2008 12:07 am
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 387358

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 13, 2008 2:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Are you sure?

I thought that it was supposed to disappear
when the rain got on it - or did you have any rain? I wonder if there's people going out there with paintball guns. We have a lot of that activity in central Arizona, just outside of Phoenix. When will some of these people learn that Nature is for them to look at rather than to shoot at. At least it adds some reddish hues to the mountain. Nice photo, SoCalHiker!!!

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Mar 13, 2008 3:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Are you sure?

Thanks for the comment. I can't be 100% certain but I still think it's from the fire-retardant. Most of the hill-side was charred speaking of a recent wildfire. And the footage in the news always shows how this orange-red chemical is dumped over the fire. But as I said I am not absolutely positive. I don't know how fast it will wash off though. I have not heard anything about paintball guns here in this area but again that does not mean anything. Also, the rock in the pictures is not the only colored one by any means. The entire upper hillside is full of orange-colored rocks. But you are right, it certainly added to a colorful display.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2