Summit

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Summit
Manufacturer Merrell
Page By martin020
Page Type Jun 30, 2005 / Jun 30, 2005
Object ID 1362
Hits 854
Vote
These traditional hikers are designed for carrying heavy loads on some of the most demanding terrain there is. Exceptional for multi-day trekking, backpacking, and expeditions.

Waterproofed full-grain leather uppers are attached to the soles with classic Norwegian welt double-stitching for exceptional durability

Rubber midsoles and leather/thermoplastic insoles offer durable support

VibramĀ® outsoles offer traction on and off the trail

Step-in crampon compatible for snow and ice travel

Moisture-wicking nylon lining helps keep feet dry and comfortable

Dual-density insoles offer long-lasting cushion

Sources include rei.com and merrell.com

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

martin020 - Jun 30, 2005 8:34 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have been wearing this boot for about three years now, and I love them. I don't think I have ever come across a better quality product, anywhere. They have taken a beating and are still holding together extremely well, and it is also possible to have them re-soled.



Pros: Well, with these boots, there was very little break in time. I know for a fact that by my second trip in them they fit like a glove, and I have never had a blister, even from the longest thru hiking. Also, they are very waterproof, and I dont think my feet have ever been wet from a water crossing.



Cons: The Merrell boots have very thick leather, and bieng thick and sturdy, preventing ankle injuries, but it can cause the feet to get very warm, especially in the summer. I would advise a thinner pair of hiking socks and a liner in these boots. It really hasn't been that big of a deal though.



Looking online and in stores now, the summit doesnt appear to be made anymore, but the newer Wilderness model is extremely similar, and probably even better. I basically advise any true hiker to get Merrell boots, as it has proven to be one of the best investments I have ever made.

Bignick - Feb 13, 2007 3:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Superb Boot
I have worn out 2 pair of these. They are in my opinion the best all around hiking and back packing boot made and certainly Merrells best. They have a perfect balance between flexable for a comfortable fit all day and being rigid enough for boulders and extremely rocky trails without your feet suffering.

Merrell boots fit an average to wide foot well and have plenty of room in the toe box and still locate your heel well. The Vibram soles grip rock well even when wet and wear well too.

These can be treated with Nikwax and used for prolong periods in snow keeping your feet warm and dry. Too bad they discontinued them.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2