Palinkopf Comments

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
desainme

desainme - Oct 13, 2008 7:15 am - Voted 10/10

Named for the Unitedstatsian

Vice Presidential candidate?

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 13, 2008 7:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Named for the Unitedstatsian

Hehe - she who makes GWB look bright? Actually, the name appears to be an abbreviation: Pauliner Kopf - like Pauline's Head - is the German name. The people in Graubünden, however, are Rhaetian and their language is a wild mixture of very old latin expressions which over time morphed into everyday language. In any way the language is one of the oldest types of rural speech. Very similar to Ladinian, which is spoken in the valleys in the Dolomites and also similar to Provencal.

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Oct 18, 2008 7:10 pm - Voted 10/10

good warning

I admit that I have already spent a fine winter day on the ski runs. Your page serves well as a warning not to go there in summer. Very well-written!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 19, 2008 11:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: good warning

Hmm - Judith said that skiers should be forced to visit the place in summer; to see the consequences their sport has on the environment. As a non--skier I tend to agree.

Ischgl has already gone too far. You absolutely should not go there in summer, at least not if you intend to hike the eastern slopes. Mountain biking might offer some fun - but the consequences for the environment are similar. Samnaun has not yet reached the same level (if you don't count the duty-free signs in the village). But they are working hard to catch up. Alp Trida is shallower than the slopes on the Ischgl side so that landslides don't occur there. But they are creating water tanks and reservoirs for their snow cannons and thus the Alp is far from pristine.

I must say I was really frustrated - especially since I think that Fiss and Serfaus deal with their mountains much the same way that Ischgl and Samnaun do.

oldandslow

oldandslow - Oct 20, 2008 11:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Public Service Page

My son and I were seriously considering day hiking in this area. Several weeks ago I requested advice on Summit Post on day hiking opportunities in Italy and Austria for an old person. The respose was not overwhelming. We sent for material from a lot of tourist offices including the Paznaun--Ischgl and Galtur. We got nice material but your account of true conditions has sent our planning in a different direction. Thanks for your advice.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 21, 2008 9:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Public Service Page

I think I remember your thread. I'm not sure if I replied but I read Moni's reply about the Gröden / Val Gardena area, which I could second. Another good area is around Sterzing / Vipiteno, some 30km south of the Brenner pass. There are good possibilities - plus you can drive up to Brenner, Penser Joch or Jaufenpass and start your hikes high up with not much elevation gain.

From Brenner you can hike to Hoher Lorenzen and Grubenjoch, mostly along old WWII military roads, From Timmelsjoch there is the long and easy (at the beginning) Jaufenkamm Ridge and around Penser Joch there also are quite a number of easy summits.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Palinkopf' main page