Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.87010°N / 114.8935°W
Additional Information County: Blaine
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10129 ft / 3087 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This  

The
From Vienna PeakFrom Vienna Peak
author accessed this peak from the Alturas Lake trailhead. 
Getting There

To get to the trailhead, drive approximately 30 miles south of Stanley (or 35 miles north of Ketchum) on Highway 75. Take the well-marked Alturas Lake turnoff and drive to the lake. At the lake, turn right and follow the (still paved) road past the lake, where it turns into a rough dirt road that is passable by passenger cars. The trailhead is at the road's end, where you will find a large parking lot and concrete toilet.
Note that the Alturas Lake Creek trail is open to motorcycles.[img:675440:alignright:small:From Vienna Peak]

Alternately, you can climb this peak from Beaver Creek (see the routes section).


Routes

You can probably climb this peak from just about any direction, but one of the two known routes up this peak will provide the easiest access and climb:

Eureka Gulch


From the trailhead (7100'), [img:675439:alignright:small:Eureka Gulch route map]walk west about 1/2 mile up the Alturas Creek trail. After you cross the creek (on a big steel bridge), look for an old road or way to the left (south). This turns into a more positive trail as it traverses back to the east. Eventually it crosses the creek coming out of Eureka Gulch and starts to head uphill as a real road. This route follows Trail #90 of the SNRA, which is open to motorized vehicles. The road was cleared in 2010 by the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation. Follow the road to the mines, then pick a rib to climb steeply uphill and access the summit ridge.
Route stats
About 4 miles one way and 2980' gain. Class 2.

Beaver Creek


The book Idaho: A Climbing Guide shows this as the primary (only) route. Drive up Beaver Creek past the old Sawtooth City site and climb from the south. The condition of the road and the aesthetics of the route are unknown to this author.


Red Tape

None.
This peak is just outside of the Sawtooth Wilderness Area.
This is snow country, so check ahead for road conditions. If climbing in snow season, also check the avalanche report.

Camping

Alturas Lake has several really nice Forest Service campgrounds. There is also dispersed camping along the dirt road on the way to the trailhead.[img:675444:alignright:medium:Summit ridge]

 

For additional information on this climb and other peaks in the area, please see Tom Lopez's excellent book, Idaho: A Climbing Guide.