Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.90622°S / 43.12031°W
Additional Information County: Niterói
Activities Activities: Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 49 ft / 15 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pedra do Índio ( Indian Rock ) is a remnant totem in the Guanabara Bay, Niterói – Rio de Janeiro. With just 15m, the rock allows some free routes of topropes, choosing the difficult to do. The rock is fragile, broking in little pieces and falling in the water, making a good ground to surf by the ages. This is the symbol of the city, localized at the most famous beach, called Icaraí. This is a neat place to practice surf and free soloing the rocks. There are a similar rock close to Pedra do Índio called Pedra de Itapuca, giving the name of the place – Itapuca Rocks.
Pedra do Índio

Getting There

The rock localizes in the south zone of Niterói City, in the Icaraí district. From downtown Rio de Janeiro, is just 16km of distance.
From Downtown Rio:
Drive to Niterói ( BR101 South ) by Rio-Niterói Bridge and getting there, follow the way to Região Oceânica ( Oceanic Region ). About few minutes, you’ll reach the point. Arriving there, it’s obligatory to swim to the base and, do not choose days with big waves, because the sea will impede you to get the base.
Icaraí Beach and Índio


Routes

There aren’t official routes. The climbers recognize just the sides of Pedra do Indio – East, West, North and South routes. It’s possible to climb all routes in a few minutes.
The south and the east are the most exposure routes.


Camping

There aren't campsites, because this rock is in the city.

When to Climb

Every day is possible – just check the sea conditions

External Links

Links about Niterói

http://www.nitvista.com/ Portuguese
http://www.neltur.com.br/esp/esp_000.htm Spanish