Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Mar 20, 2007 12:32 am - Voted 10/10

Good Story

Stay with it: your workouts and your new climbing career.

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 20, 2007 2:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Story

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback and will stick with them both!

Granpa - Mar 20, 2007 6:27 am - Voted 10/10

Alaska Mt Man

Well done !! I bet you are on "Top of the World" after your accomplishment. Recommend you take a 2 iron and a few golf balls on your next trip. You'll be amazed at how far it will go from the summit.

JohnMcPike

JohnMcPike - Mar 20, 2007 8:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome trip report

Guadalupe Peak is a great one to start off with.

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 20, 2007 9:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome trip report

Thanks - I was shocked that Texas had mountains and views like this...especially in West Texas!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 20, 2007 9:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome trip report

We are going to Enchanted Rock next weekend with the family and are looking forward to it.

Squatchmo

Squatchmo - Mar 24, 2007 10:34 pm - Hasn't voted

I remember you!

We were the two guys coming down off of the summit. You beat us though, we only hit it from the campground - Our first mountain as well... Awesome to see pictures from the same exact time we were up there. Good report, Good luck on your next trip!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 25, 2007 2:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I remember you!

Squatchmo! Good to hear from you. I was wondering how the campground was as I didn't hike over to it and haven't seen any recon on it here. I thought that might be pretty good to stay the night there and catch the sunrise from the summit. Good luck to you as well!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 27, 2007 2:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Big Bend

Thanks for the info, we will definitely check the drive out!

CRiedel2

CRiedel2 - Mar 25, 2007 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Report

Nice job on the trip report. Hoping to fit Guadalupe Peak into my plans in May. Glad you had a great time :)

camartinez

camartinez - Mar 25, 2007 4:24 pm - Voted 9/10

Welcome to hiking world

Very good story, it sounds familiar to me....
You are welcome to come to Monterrey, Mexico.
I think is the nearest place from your hometown that have high mountains it can be a real challenge to you while you get ready for higher challenges...
See ya!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 27, 2007 2:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Welcome to hiking world

I get down to Mexico every now and then for work. I may have to extend my next trip and check em out!

remcycle - Mar 27, 2007 4:56 pm - Voted 8/10

Guadalupe Peak

Congratulations from Austin! I'm just starting out as well...i've done some fun technical stuff on Enchanted Rock as well as a lot of training in the gym.

I think I'll stop and hit Guadalupe Peak on the way out to Sierra Blanca this summer. It's the highest peak in New Mexico and not far from Guadalupe (you can actually see it from the summit).

Good luck on your next climb!

admiralcapn

admiralcapn - Mar 12, 2014 8:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Guadalupe Peak

I think you may be mislead about Sierra Blanca's status. While it does have the highest prominence of New Mexico, the highest peak in the state is Wheeler Peak near Taos.

lingana

lingana - Mar 27, 2007 10:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Similarity !

Congratulations on your summit !
Now, what else could be more similar -
we both staying in good ol' TX, both Petroleum Engineers, and an avid interest in mountains.....
Dude - Welcome to the addictive world !
Happy Climbing !

Later,
S.

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 28, 2007 1:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Similarity !

We probably work for the same company! Your trip report of Guadalupe was one of the reasons I chose to climb there first so I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Happy climbing to you as well - c'ya.

Big Shoes

Big Shoes - Dec 31, 2007 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Once is all it takes.

It sounds like you might have caught the hiking bug. I see your post was back in March, have you gone on any other hikes since then? I live in Cali and go with my 12 year old son as often as possible. Local stuff mostly, we are headed for Guadalupe in April 08' to try your hike.

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Jan 5, 2008 1:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Once is all it takes.

Absolutely! I have taken a trip to Colorado with my sisters to hike Mt Elbert and Mt Bierstadt. We have also taken a family trip up to Enchanted Rock closer to home. It is addicting ... I hope you have a great trip to Guadalupe!

Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Return to 'Perspectives From A Newbie - “Top O Texas”' main page