(Eye) Contacts and Mountaineering

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MoapaPk

Re: (Eye) Contacts and Mountaineering

by MoapaPk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:17 am

Swithich wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:What is the nature of your correction, in diopters?

Not sure who you are asking here or if you are taking a general poll. I also don't know what diopters are, but I think you want the contact measures. I'm L 2.00 and R 2.50 (but currently my right contact is weaker at 2.00 also).

That's a rather weak Rx, so the discussion about the distortion from glasses does not apply to you, and your options are generally a lot greater than for someone who has coke-bottle-type glasses. Not that this is too relevant for you, but it helps give the thread a reference point.

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Also, if you're only worried about occasional one-night trips, you might be interested in knowing that many "single-use" contact lenses are made of exactly the same material as "extended wear" (up to a week) lenses ("silicone hydrogel"). So it's possible to get a "single-use" lens that you can safely leave in overnight - though you might find this unsuitable if your eyes tend to get dry or "gunky" overnight. (I kept my lenses in routinely on camping trips, but I'm not a doctor or optometrist, so check with a pro if you don't have the confidence that I did.)

MScholes

by MScholes » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Last summer, on Kili, I took my contacts out every night. I realize it's not too cold on Kili, but I would just leave them in my gloves overnight at high camp.

I've taken my contacts with me everywhere - I hate wearing glasses (although sun glasses are fine for some odd reason). This includes multiday trips in the bush up here in the north in -40 and below. I use a set of heavy and thick smartwool mountaineering socks to keep my unfreezables from freezing. Keep them close to your back in the pack, all wrapped up in the socks. When you stop (during the day the contacts aren't in the pack...) pull out the socks and shake them up - it's something I've gotten used to doing and it's worked well so far.

Multiday use contacts would be nice - I can't seem to wear them. The blood vessels in my eyes have issues which will prevent me from wearing contacts altogether in a few years - 4 years is the best estimate I've had, so I can't comment on that but certainly a nice thought.

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:34 pm

I've been wearing contacts and glasses since I was 16. I wear rigid gas permeable lenses. Before that, I wore soft contacts and used a hydrogen perioxide solution. I switched to a non perioxide system and keep them in the small two-cambered case. It doesn't have to be kept upright. So I just keep mine in my sleeping bag at night with no worry of leakage or freezing. Best bet is to switch solutions if possible. Surely you can find a solution that you are not allergic to.
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

no avatar
josharmon

by josharmon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:32 pm

I know this is discussion has been dead for a while, but whenever I'm worried that my contacts will freeze I make sure whatever pants I'm wearing to bed have pockets (preferably zipping or otherwise closable) and just put my contact case in them. My body heat keeps them from freezing, and I suppose you could throw your solution in your sleeping bag too if you're worried about it. I think it's about as simple a solution as you could ask for.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58 pm

I once dated a woman who was advised to wear contacts by a competent doctor of Optometry.

The real kicker is .... she hated wearing the contacts. I SUPPOSE she choice to wear contacts over glasses, which is WHY I liked her so much ..

YES, she was a tie-dyed ADVOCATE of Free Choice!
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:25 am

Besides .... Sarah Palin never had a problem with wearing contacts .......... 8)

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Previous

Return to General