Crux X2 Storm

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:25 pm

I mailed the store too with some questions. Not sure if they'll reply though.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:08 am

Yeah, I figured the BD line weren't 4 season at all. They seem to be great tents in all weather but not really high altitude.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:27 am

They're OK at high altitude if the weather is OK, they've been used on some big climbs. But they don't have enough guyline points for really high winds and are not strong enough for a big dump of snow, they just don't have enough structure. Being a thin single-wall, they're also cold. Outside of those events, they're fine.

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:32 am

Damien Gildea wrote:They're OK at high altitude if the weather is OK, they've been used on some big climbs. But they don't have enough guyline points for really high winds and are not strong enough for a big dump of snow, they just don't have enough structure. Being a thin single-wall, they're also cold. Outside of those events, they're fine.

Yet not really usable for my purposes.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:17 am

I checked this tent myself in the shop today, the shop noted on the eBay site.

The tent is one of the early models, with the straight poles. Otherwise it seemed OK. I did not buy it.

D

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Lightwave tents have a design where you have to set up the inner tent first with the poles, and then attach the outer tent to the inner tent & poles using velcro.

It's pretty sturdy, but you can not set up the outer tent first, so if it's raining and you have to set up, you're pretty much fucked.

Plus, it's a slow way to set up a tent, compared to a click in inner tent like Hellsport or Hilleberg (and Crux?).

I have a Lightwave T0 XT and that's my main problem with it.

WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 am

Damien Gildea wrote:I checked this tent myself in the shop today, the shop noted on the eBay site.

The tent is one of the early models, with the straight poles. Otherwise it seemed OK. I did not buy it.

D

Thanks Damien!

Might be interesting to find out if you can get replacement poles and IF they will fit. I've mailed Crux about this, but no reply yet.

Koen

Crux

by Koen » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:14 am

Wouter,

I bought a Crux X2 storm a few years ago at the tent show of K2 in Antwerp. Mine also has a lightwave label. The seller told me the reason for this, but I forgot what it was. It definitely is a crux product.

I have used this tent in the European alps - the weight/strength ratio is excellent. The only down side to it is that it has no (or only a small) vestibule. With two persons and sacks there is no room left. So, depending on your use, maybe the Crux Bomb, might be a better idea.

But the storm is a very strong tent though,

Koen

WouterB

by WouterB » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:19 pm

WouterB wrote:Might be interesting to find out if you can get replacement poles and IF they will fit. I've mailed Crux about this, but no reply yet.

Crux replied. They can (and will) sell you a new pair of poles (the new ones) for € 100.

Previous

Return to Gear