How to distinguish couger scat

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:00 am

This is zoo poo. I did a research project on tiger copulation and this photo is from my project.

?Anyone want to know about tiger copulation? :D

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:04 am

tigerlilly wrote:?Anyone want to know about tiger copulation? :D

Looks like I got to this thread at the right time! :D

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 am

At least TigerLily is avoiding the cougar connotations.

Desert cats tend to be smaller than their woodland cousins. That scat (a few posts back) was found SE of DayHiker's house (though I don't suspect him), in an area with 4" rainfall per year; if it belongs to a cat, I suspect s/he got "the lion's share" of water from prey. Desert mountain lions have a lot less water in their diet, and tend to poop a bit less than their woodland cousins.

I think mountain lions are more like domestic kitties, than the "big cats." Pumas have rather small skulls in comparison, and the keel on the top of the skull is less pronounced.

I'm glad you didn't keep the tigers in your house during the study.
Last edited by MoapaPk on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 am

I'll get down to the nitty gritty. They are induced ovulators.

During one four hour session that I observed, they copulated 35 times. It lasts about 5-8 seconds. This will go on for many days.

phew! :shock:

I wrote a whole paper on it, so if you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them. :D

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 am

Hey Mr. Moap,

Did you find that skull? It is nicely bleached. Did you find it bleached or do it yourself? I have a large animal skull collection, but I do not have a cougar! (wanna sell it?!) :D

moonspots

by moonspots » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 am

tigerlilly wrote:This is zoo poo. I did a research project on tiger copulation and this photo is from my project.

?Anyone want to know about tiger copulation? :D

:shock: Girl, you ARE interesting....

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:29 am

8)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 am

tigerlilly wrote:Hey Mr. Moap,

Did you find that skull? It is nicely bleached. Did you find it bleached or do it yourself? I have a large animal skull collection, but I do not have a cougar! (wanna sell it?!) :D

http://www.summitpost.org/image/199557/lion-skull1.html

I left it where it was. I could give you the GPS track, but my guess is that little critters have chewed it apart by now. I found a cougar skull in NM as well.

Some of my friends found a human skull; I think they win.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:50 am

MoapaPk wrote:That scat (a few posts back) was found SE of DayHiker's house (though I don't suspect him)

:lol: Don't be so sure!

Based on tigerlilly's description, I am closer in size to an adult male Sumatran tiger than I am to an adult cougar. So that should help with your identification.

brianhughes

by brianhughes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 am

While we're on the subject, this may be useful:

After a number of attacks on hikers and campers in Alaska, the Department of Fish & Game released the following advisory:

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears. We also advise utdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly Bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:25 am

brianhughes wrote:Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly Bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

Right. And for mountain lions:

Day Hiker wrote:The lion scat smells like pepper and contains little bells and [chewed-up] hats with eyes in the back.

Previous

Return to General