Leave No Trace

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
haha1

Leave No Trace

by haha1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:01 am

Today, I decided to go for a hike in the San Gabriels. Originally planning for Badden Powell, but didn't know the road was closed at Islip Saddle so my plan B was bagging Mt. Williamson. It was a beautiful day, and a beautiful hike.

The only regretful part was when I found the summit register. I quickly discovered that there was the distinct odor of someone's shit wafting through the air close to the register that was encircled with rocks. Oh and there were also flies flying all around. I quickly lost all interest in poking around the rocks for fear of uncovering someone's toxic waste.

I know most people here practice Leave no Trace. I suppose those of us who are careful where we leave our deposits need to educate those who don't know better.

We have a job to do friends!!

simonov

Re: Leave No Trace

by simonov » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:36 pm

As a dog owner, I am pretty conditioned to carrying shit around in a bag. In many situations, I would rather do that than bury it. Certainly on a summit block.

The secret is to use a high quality poo bag. I have been using Mutt Mitts for several years, and will typically have four of them in a back pocket at all times. They have two relatively thick plies of plastic at the business end. They cost more, but they make picking up and carrying shit a real pleasure.

The full poo bags go into a Sea to Summit dry sack fastened to the outside of my pack.

Here I am carrying (dog) poo on Mt Rose just last week:

This is all great advice if you are conscientious, but the sad fact is most people are self-absorbed pigs who couldn't give a fuck about anyone besides themselves, even in the mountains (and especially in LA).

Nunc est bibendum.

The following user would like to thank simonov for this post
boyblue

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:00 pm

Big wall climbers have been handling this for years, time climbers and hikers follow suit. I envision a tall, narrow light weight dry bag with a daisy chain that can be attached to the out side of the pack. Along with it you bring doggie bags and you carry out your business in the doggie bag in the dry bag. One dry bag would be big enough for a small group for a few days.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:40 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25Eflr0oJ8[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25Eflr0oJ8

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:32 pm

One of the only times I ever carried out poop was with Mrchad9, it was an experience. Though we have these poop tube things here in NZ that are catching on in some of the more popular areas that I don't get to.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:56 pm

They used to have pretty rugged and robust bags at Shasta with kitty litter in them... was not really anything to worry about. Can't remember if they did when we went.

But now it is just a paper bag with some sawdust inside an outer plastic bag. Kind of gross. Friend of mine thought it was a good idea to leave his bag open so it could dry out last trip up. While we went to the summit a mouse or something went inside and played with his leftovers.

Daria

by Daria » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:10 am

mrchad9 wrote: Shasta

Are you married to Mt. Shasta? You bring it up in 3/5 comments you post on here.
I'm the top troll.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:52 am

mrchad9 wrote:They used to have pretty rugged and robust bags at Shasta with kitty litter in them... was not really anything to worry about. Can't remember if they did when we went.

But now it is just a paper bag with some sawdust inside an outer plastic bag. Kind of gross. Friend of mine thought it was a good idea to leave his bag open so it could dry out last trip up. While we went to the summit a mouse or something went inside and played with his leftovers.

When we went it was just a paper bag.

I wish there was a paper poop bag that we could put Daria in so that we could throw her in the trash and never hear from her or smell her again.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:01 pm

They need to make that bag out of kevlar and it is going to need a better smell barrier.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:04 am

mrchad9 wrote:They need to make that bag out of kevlar and it is going to need a better smell barrier.

A kevlar bag wrapped in a carbon fiber layer, then encased in a steel ball and finally put in the middle of a meter square bit of concrete and buried 100s of meters into the mountain.

simonov

by simonov » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Thank god, for a day or so there I thought I was on the wrong website. It wouldn't be a proper Summitpost thread if it didn't eventually devolve into weird obsessing over Daria.
Nunc est bibendum.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:58 pm

She had to make it happen. The rest of us forgot about her.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 pm

She is a good person to forget about. Probably by far the most evil person on summitpost.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:03 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:Big wall climbers have been handling this for years

LNT? There's an app for that... :)
Clean Mountain Can
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/inc/sdetail/689
Big Wall Can
https://www.mtntools.com/cat/bigwall/ha ... allcan.htm

no avatar
haha1

by haha1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:58 pm

When I posted my message a few days ago, I was sincerely hoping that it would be a nudge and a reminder to people about how our beautiful outdoors should be treated.

But alas, we live in an age where crudeness and insult is accepted and encouraged even by those at the top. Very sad commentary on the state of where we are right now.

Next

Return to General