Manhunt on the Lost Coast

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
96avs01

Re: Manhunt on the Lost Coast

by 96avs01 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 am

Hoodoo wrote:
96avs01 wrote:^^^why, who wants to hike it in the fog? april or october are best

Okay, I get it, expertise is not prerequisite to post a reply on Summit Post. I guess some folks just feel compelled to share whatever uninformed nugget of a shabby notion they mistakenly believe passes for wisdom because they can. I believe, however, there remains a significant percentage of site users that continue to actually seek valuable information regarding such things as destinations and current conditions.

While there may be stretches of fog that linger for days at a time along areas of the Lost Coast a great deal of the time between May and September one frequently encounters extraordinary weather in this area. Like days on end of clear skies and temperatures that occasionally get up to the mid-70s. I think we had a stretch last June of nearly three weeks in a row like this. My expertise? Well, since the view from my house actually looks down at a nice stretch of the area, I've enjoyed at least part of nearly twenty summers in a row there, and hiked along parts of the trail hundreds of times during these months I can assure the rest of you out there that I've often encountered stretches of days, even weeks, at a time during the months of May, June, July, August and September of lovely, fog free, non-rainy weather. During these months the days are also longer, ticks seem to be less of an issue, tides are mostly less severe because the ocean is generally a bit calmer and stream crossing are mostly negligible. Also while unrelenting fog can be a drag and create conditions that can be nearly 50 degrees cooler than inland temperatures on some 100+ degree summer days there are some foggy days, particularly when conditions are in transition, that are downright spectacularly surreal. Like when the King Range begins to reveal itself to beach wanderers little by little. It doesn't get much better than that. Sure seems like nice hiking and camping conditions but why take my word for it?

That's great, very happy for you. If you had to pick a time to maximize your chances for a fog-free experience pretty sure you would target April or October. That said, feel free to continue to pontificate. :roll:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

OK for someone who lives in the area Hoodoo has amazingly little information to share wrt what is going on right now. I suppose that makes sense, what with him not being even remotely near the area at the moment.

Hoodoo

by Hoodoo » Wed May 15, 2013 12:39 am

I won't be up there until the weekend but I do try to stay informed.

Here's a good current source:

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2013/may/14 ... r-manhunt/

From the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office:
The search continues for triple homicide suspect Shane Miller. Over seventy law enforcement officers continue to search the Mattole Valley, King Range Conservation Area and surrounding communities looking for Miller. Officers are going door to door, speaking with residents and searching numerous outbuildings and unoccupied cabins. There has still been no sighting of Miller since the day his truck was found. Meantime investigators from the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office, Humboldt County Sheriffs Office and United States Marshals Office continue to interview friends and relatives. Officers have been following up on numerous tips and leads. Roadblocks are still in place and cars are being searched leaving the Mattole Valley. Area schools are back in session and officers are staged at or near the schools. Residents have expressed their appreciation and are working with law enforcement to help find Miller.
The King Range Conservation Area is still closed until further notice

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 am

Why close the King Range if they think he is in someone's home?

Doesn't appear they have thought this out.

Hoodoo

by Hoodoo » Wed May 15, 2013 1:47 am

Well you know until I get my boots on the black sand again I know about as much as you're probably privy to regarding the intentions of our public servants. From what I've gleaned, not only from published reports but also the accompanying chatter, is that the last known sighting of this guy was in the Mattole Valley, that he is familiar with the territory and is a "skilled woodsman" (whatever that means). I think I know enough about that area to believe that it could potentially be a pretty great place to disappear. One comment I read somewhere said something about this guy's familiarity with the Big Flat area (an area that's, uh, pretty big, about half way between the Lost Coast Trail's northern entrance and Shelter Cove). This is an area that I, for one, have long considered my "go to" destination should a zombie apocalypse, a nuclear war, or a Ted Cruz/ Rand Paul(or vice-versa) presidency occur. I'm not sure what'd be worse... Perhaps someone on the law end of this tragic series of events stumbled across similar info or maybe they know more than we know. It could happen. So, again you're asking me to speculate -if that's a consideration then exit options increase along with the possibility an unwelcome backcountry encounter(s) at a point or points between the Mattole, Shelter Cove and various trails leading uphill along the way. Now how they actually manage to "close" this area, or the notion in general of "closing" a wilderness area remains both a mystery and a travesty. I mean, suppose they can't find this guy and they were to broaden the search to additional California wilderness areas? And for how long?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 am

I went through 10 car searches in upstate NY when they were looking for this friendly fellow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Garrow

The officers and volunteers had reasoned that he would be within a certain area, so we relaxed when we finally got about 50 miles past the edge of the search zone.

That night the subject of the manhunt took a back road past the roadblocks, and drove right by our parked car.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 am

MoapaPk wrote:I went through 10 car searches in upstate NY when they were looking for this friendly fellow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Garrow

The officers and volunteers had reasoned that he would be within a certain area, so we relaxed when we finally got about 50 miles past the edge of the search zone.

That night the subject of the manhunt took a back road past the roadblocks, and drove right by our parked car.

I was living in upstate NY during the saga of Robert Garrow, but not as far upstate as the search was going on. We were still really relieved when they captured him. It's interesting that he lived in the Village of Dannemora as a child. Maybe it was foreshadowing because Dannemora Prison houses some of the most violet souls in NY - a lot of one way tickets into that institution.

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 pm

simonov wrote:Gingers have no souls.

Exactly!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 am

So the police have given up, the coast remains closed. As if I needed any more reasons to disregard the will and desires of the public lands administrators.

Previous

Return to California