Mt. Hood Attempt - Experienced Mountaineer Wanted

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
OJ Loenneker

Re: Hilarity

by OJ Loenneker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:53 am

Vitaliy M wrote:So why are people reffering to him as African American and never Caucasian American???

Because there is no such thing as "Caucasian-American"... :wink:

It would be "European-American"... :roll:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:03 am

Vitaliy M wrote:
Lubellski wrote:Full Metal Jacket, please, step into the fucking 21st century man. In case you had not noticed, our President is African American, and our military is on the verge of eliminating the don’t ask don’t tell policy. Racism and homophobia are no longer hip man and neither is referencing a movie that revolves around both.

Just wondering how is our President more African American than Caucasian American? As I remember he was half/half and was mainly raised by his white grandmother..So why are people reffering to him as African American and never Caucasian American???

If you want the real reason, it is because he prefers to be known that way.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:Don't think I ever heard him state "I prefer to be labeled as african american." And, can you really just pick what you are? I think he is a "mixed." "multiracial," or "mulatto." African American that never came in contact with his "African" part of the family is funny.

I've heard him say it, in an interview during the campaign, that he wanted to be called that. He discussed how he chose to live his life as an African American, become part of the African American community, have a African American family, etc... He said that was the culture he decided to become part of.

I agree with you on your point. That doesn't change your ancestry or who you really are.

Previous

Return to General