New Places to Snowshoe - Bishop to Mammoth

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MCGusto

New Places to Snowshoe - Bishop to Mammoth

by MCGusto » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:20 am

I'll be heading up to Bishop in a couple of weeks in hopes of breaking out the snowshoes for the 2nd time this season. I've done South Lake a bunch of times, North Lake once, Rock Creek up to Mosquito Flat twice, and done a semi-loop up in Mammoth where they have the cross-country skiing area.

Can anyone point me to some new places to explore? I know when heading north out of Bishop I always see some enticing fields off to the left that look pretty fun, but I don't know if it's private land or not. I was also thinking about heading out towards the Lower Owen's River and possibly breaking out the fly fishing pole. (Don't know if there is snow on the way there or not). I'll be spending at least a day in Mammoth, so something new up there is definitely in order.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Gusto

dyusem

by dyusem » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:46 am

The places to snowshoe are endless in that area! Some possibilities:

1/ Obsidian Dome (just N of Mammoth)
2/ Mammoth Mt > Minaret Vista >Two Teats
3/ Up into the Duck Pass area or up onto the Minaret Vista or over Mammoth Pass to the Red Cones (or Red's Meadow/Rainbow Falls)
4/ Inyo Crater loop
5/ Tioga Pass road - park at the road closure and hike up till you hit snow and you can climb up as far as you like! This is ~25 miles N of Mammoth but well worth the effort if you are into self-abuse :)
6/ Inyo Mts
7/ White Mts.

The choices are really to many to mention. Looks like the snow should be setting up now that the storms have ended BUT it is always best to check avalanche conditions, use adjustable poles, and have a headlamp just in case you get lost or break a binding and need to walk out in the darkness.

Have fun!

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:40 am

Thanks for the replies.

Gotta love summitpost for quick responses!

Gusto

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:30 am

I think you could snowshoe the Lower Rock Creek trail right now. That's a cool one right next to the creek.

Hot Creek is probably really sweet with all the new snow. Those hot springs throw up some cool steam in the winter. Most people just walk along the path of the summer road. Get down into the gorge for a little solitude along the creek.

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Greg Enright wrote:I think you could snowshoe the Lower Rock Creek trail right now. That's a cool one right next to the creek.

Hot Creek is probably really sweet with all the new snow. Those hot springs throw up some cool steam in the winter. Most people just walk along the path of the summer road. Get down into the gorge for a little solitude along the creek.

Is this the Hot Creek area you're talking about?

Basically just following the road out along the creek, I'm assuming?

Also looking into the Dry, Deadman, and Glass Creeks areas. I'm guessing Dry Creek road isn't plowed during the winter?

Gusto

dyusem

by dyusem » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:23 pm

Yes, that is the Hot Creek area that was mentioned.

As I mentioned earlier, Obsidian Dome is the area around Glass Creek Rd. The dirt roads are not plowed. The road down to Alpers Ranch (near the rest area and south of Deadman Pass) is plowed.

Shoeing the Obsidian Dome area is a bunch of fun because you can get off the trail into the trees and you can climb up into the Domes. Great views of the Sierra to the south and west and Mono Lake, Mono Craters, etc to the north.

MCGusto wrote:
Greg Enright wrote:I think you could snowshoe the Lower Rock Creek trail right now. That's a cool one right next to the creek.

Is this the Hot Creek area you're talking about?

Also looking into the Dry, Deadman, and Glass Creeks areas. I'm guessing Dry Creek road isn't plowed during the winter?

Gusto

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Obsidian Dome was actually the first thing I looked at when it was mentioned. I was a little concerned about the avi possibility to the south along Glass Creek and to the west along the fireroad.

I'm going with my wife and towing my daughter in a sled, so I was kind of playing it overlly cautious. Are there usually slides in that area? It looks like the Glass Creek area has a decent amount of tree coverage.

Gusto

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:08 am

- Convict Lake is easily accessible as well. Great place for some moderate 2-3 mile round trips. Many folks here in Hilton Creek and Mammoth enjoy this afternoon loop shoe then stop at the Convict Lake Resturant for dinner.

- McGee Creek: As far as ya want to go.

- June Lake Loop starting at the Edison closure and then north to Gem Lake then return. 2-3 hour easy sno-shoe

dyusem

by dyusem » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:41 am

Obsidian Dome is a great place for you and your family. There will be no avy danger especially if you stay on the track (i.e. roads) and little if any off piste. I've been off piste in that area during heavy storms and never saw one slide. And yes, it is a very healthy forest...it is actually a part of the largest Jeffrey Pine forest on the planet!

You may want to enter the area where the forest service lays down track on Deadman Pass as you will be closer to the most accessible dome; do try to locate the entrance up into the dome...it is very special.

MCGusto wrote:Obsidian Dome was actually the first thing I looked at when it was mentioned. I was a little concerned about the avi possibility to the south along Glass Creek and to the west along the fireroad.

I'm going with my wife and towing my daughter in a sled, so I was kind of playing it overlly cautious. Are there usually slides in that area? It looks like the Glass Creek area has a decent amount of tree coverage.

Gusto

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:47 am

The Chief wrote:
- McGee Creek: As far as ya want to go.

How far up do they plow the McGee Creek road? Is there parking? My understanding was the road was closed because of avi danger.

Thanks again, everyone!

Gusto

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:05 am

MCGusto wrote:Is this the Hot Creek area you're talking about?

Gusto

Yep that's the Hot Creek Gorge area. Just follow Hot Creek Hatchery Road as far as it is plowed, and start shoeing. There were quite a few cars parked out there before the storms, but I'm not sure where the plowing stops now. The Hot Creek Geyser is not where your map shows it, the Fish Hatchery is located at the geyser marker on the map. The geysers, just bubbling pools usually, are a couple of miles east in the gorge. Hot Creek is really exposed to the sun and wind. If it's windy, head for the trees, like the Obsidian Dome area.

The Obsidian Dome route on your map is a good one. The exact route heads up to the top of the dome a little further north than shown on your map, but you will see the path of the road to the top. That recommendation is a good one as it is cool to see the jagged lava poking up through the deep snow. The avy danger from the slope west of Obsidian Dome is minimal. In fact that hill is called Chicken Wing as it is often skied when White Wing has high avy danger. The parking for Obsidian Dome trails is at a large dirt lot at Glass Flow Road, just north of Deadman Summit.

Glass Creek Meadow is a little far to drag a sled, but it is a great place to tour in winter. I think 'Dry Creek Road' is the Mammoth Scenic Loop west of 395 and busy snowmobile trails east of 395.

Next

Return to California