It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:57 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Mountaineering Videos Online...

I don't know how many of you are familiar with www.hulu.com , but they have some mountaineering videos if your bandwith is good enough.

Here are 2 I just took a glimpse at:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/126230/messner#s-p1-so-i0

http://www.hulu.com/watch/129837/beyond ... s-p1-so-i0

There are a couple more if you click on "movies" then "documentaries." (You have to scroll through some other stuff). ...
Read more : Mountaineering Videos Online... | Views : 2102 | Replies : 1

Shasta April 2010

I read a few posts of people planning on being there that weekend but could not find them. One of my partners is now bailing on me and I wanted to see who else may be on the mountain that weekend. Looking at either Casaval from Helen or West Face. Anyone gonna be there ? Scott
Read more : Shasta April 2010 | Views : 14765 | Replies : 81

possible traverses this weekend?

I will be back in SoCal this coming weekend with some time on my hands. I really want to get some distance and elevation under my feet. I thought about doing a Baden-Powell, Burnham, Troop Peak Traverse or maybe an out and back of Cucamonga Peak, topping Big Horn and Ontario Peak along the way. Any thoughts? How is the snow level? Angeles Crest access? Has anyone been on either of these this year?

I ...
Read more : possible traverses this weekend? | Views : 1917 | Replies : 6

Best Sierra Hikes from the West

If you live in the bay area and don't want to drive 7 hrs to the eastern Sierra but want some solid hiking and bag some Sierra peaks, what are the best options? I guess I am thinking of potential hikes from the west from Yosemite and south. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Read more : Best Sierra Hikes from the West | Views : 12410 | Replies : 14

Folly Peak, NW chutes?

Does anyone know anything about climbing the chutes on the northwest side of Folly Peak? According to my map, accessing the chutes would require ascending the East Branch of the West Fork of Snow Creek. (Folly Peak is a subsidiary peak of Mt. San Jacinto).
Read more : Folly Peak, NW chutes? | Views : 1822 | Replies : 12

Spring Conditions for San Gorgonio

I'm headed up the South Fork-Dry Lake drainage to San G this coming Saturday (4-10). I'll be with a friend on skis and there will be another group of friends hiking, with crampons, ice axes, etc. Any information on current conditions especially snow coverage since last weekend or even this weeks little storm would be greatly appreciated.
Read more : Spring Conditions for San Gorgonio | Views : 3690 | Replies : 11

JMT - favorite spots

I'm planning a JMT trip and I was curious what everyone's favorite stopping/camping spots along the trail are. I'm sure some places are more desirable than others.
Read more : JMT - favorite spots | Views : 5663 | Replies : 14

Earthquake Debris

Was wondering if anyone was out in Anza Borrego this past weekend when the earthquake hit? Wanted to know if there was any major changes because of the earthquake.
Read more : Earthquake Debris | Views : 1286 | Replies : 7

Whitney Access for 4.3/4

To those in the know...

How far up the Whitney portal road can a truck drive this forthcoming weekend? Lazy climbers like a short approach ya know?

Also...

Skinning up the North Fork; is this feasible? Or am I confined to snowshoes?

Appreciate all beta. Thank you.

-Ski
Read more : Whitney Access for 4.3/4 | Views : 2695 | Replies : 6

V-notch (+ Liberty Ridge)

Looking for a partner interested in climbing the V-notch (3-days needed) in the next 14 days. Most recent photo i saw showed the palisade couloirs as snow right now. My schedule is in flux but i am likely free midweek as well. trying to get a feel for people's interest/availability...

also, i forgot to ask that if someone has just been there, can u please post your photos/conditions info. thanks!
Read more : V-notch (+ Liberty Ridge) | Views : 3726 | Replies : 12

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558004 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136531