It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 11:15 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Shasta - West Face Gulley

I want to keep an eye on these conditions for a possible ascent in late May. Would appreciate any updates submitted here. :wink:
Read more : Shasta - West Face Gulley | Views : 1222 | Replies : 5

Whitney solo April 21--

Many people here would, and have. But how would you know if your comfort level was on par with their's? If this is your first snow climb, it would be pretty scary. If you've climbed 45 deg. snow before, then you'll probably do okay. Chances are, in late April, you won't be solo, even if you wanted to be.
Read more : Whitney solo April 21-- | Views : 5065 | Replies : 23

South Lake Tahoe-area parking beta

In particular day parking off of the 89 around Luther Pass & off of the 88 at Silver Lake, before the snow is gone.

I do know that there are numerous locations where parking isn't allowed on the way up to Carson Pass due to "avalanche concerns" (even if it's almost totally bare I'm sure you'd get a ticket for trying it), & the parking lots that are around there require the ridiculous 'SnoPark' BS; ...
Read more : South Lake Tahoe-area parking beta | Views : 2759 | Replies : 10

Using Google Earth tours to describe proposed trips

Hello Gang,

I continue to fool around with Google Earth and the associated browser plugin to develop 3-D virtual tours through spectacular mountain terrain. After last summer’s climbing, I used these tools to describe the trips I did with my mountaineering club, the Vulgarian Ramblers. Recently, I created a couple of tours to describe two trips we’ve proposed for this summer. I found that going through the process helped me do a better job of ...
Read more : Using Google Earth tours to describe proposed trips | Views : 1129 | Replies : 5

Laurel Mountain

Hi guys

Anyone have any recent photos of this mountain? more specifically the NE face which faces Convict Lake... i wanna check out the melt-out in the NE gully. might be climbing this thing this tues, but i know mammoth area has been getting hit with a lot heat this week.

i have a photo from 8 days ago but i am hoping for something more recent. thanks!
Read more : Laurel Mountain | Views : 5274 | Replies : 20

California 14ers suggestions

Here in Reno, Nevada, a friend of mine and I have been organizing the Yahoo hiking group. Last year we organized a trip to Mount Whitney, which was very successful.

Now, my friend has decided he wants to hike at least two California 14ers this year. He has already done Whitney and White Mountain Peak. I am not recommending Muir or Russell since they are so close to Whitney, and he is familiar with them. ...
Read more : California 14ers suggestions | Views : 12162 | Replies : 36

Anza Borrego & Death Valley suggestions

I'm headed car camping to Anza Borrego and Death Valley and would appreciate any suggestions for places to explore with the two pretty severe conditions that 1) we only have 2wd, and 2) I'm with my 8 months pregnant wife, so we won't be covering much ground or doing any climbing. However, I am interested in getting off the beaten path if possible-- even if it's only a little way off! Any suggestions for favorite ...
Read more : Anza Borrego & Death Valley suggestions | Views : 3410 | Replies : 10

Lost J Tree pass - would they replace it with a receipt?

The freakin' card fell in a crack in between the dashboard and the windshield of the car and there is no way to get it out. Do you think I could get a replacement if I showed my credit card statement? I happened to remember the day I bought it...

What do you think? It's 80 freakin' dollars!!
Read more : Lost J Tree pass - would they replace it with a receipt? | Views : 977 | Replies : 6

Road to Glacier Lodge - Big Pine Creek

Can anyone tell me if the road is clear and open all the way to the trailhead of Big Pine creek? Or, if there is an online resource to check the status? THANKS
Read more : Road to Glacier Lodge - Big Pine Creek | Views : 2543 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558014 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136574