It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 11:30 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

J Tree next week

My girl friend and I are going going down to Palm Springs next week and will be stopping by J Tree for a day. I know there are not a lot of sport routes in the area but can anyone give me some good areas/routes that are sport or can be set up with a TR up to a 5.9? TIA!

- Josh
Read more : J Tree next week | Views : 1543 | Replies : 2

New Places to Snowshoe - Bishop to Mammoth

I'll be heading up to Bishop in a couple of weeks in hopes of breaking out the snowshoes for the 2nd time this season. I've done South Lake a bunch of times, North Lake once, Rock Creek up to Mosquito Flat twice, and done a semi-loop up in Mammoth where they have the cross-country skiing area.

Can anyone point me to some new places to explore? I know when heading north out of Bishop I ...
Read more : New Places to Snowshoe - Bishop to Mammoth | Views : 11332 | Replies : 19

Angeles Forest Meeting - Pasadena

Saw this on the STAR News website:

Angeles Forest supervisor to speak to Sierra Club

Posted: 01/25/2010 12:52:24 PM PST

Jody Noiron, supervisor of Angeles National Forest, will present an illustrated program, "Recovering From the Station Fire: Next Steps," at a Sierra Club meeting at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Eaton Canyon Nature Center, 1750 N. Altadena Drive.

Noiron will describe the fire's effects, and what can be done to assist recovery. A social reception at ...
Read more : Angeles Forest Meeting - Pasadena | Views : 2614 | Replies : 5

Quick Altitude Acclimation near Mt. Whitney

I am going to be doing a 4 or 5 day trip near Mt. Whitney. My days are already tight with my schedule so I'm not looking to climb and camp something extra to acclimate. However, I will be hiking Half Dome one day and Mt. Whitney the next. I am doing a day hike on Whitney and I'm not sure about how well I will adjust to the increased altitude. So here's the solution ...
Read more : Quick Altitude Acclimation near Mt. Whitney | Views : 28568 | Replies : 45

Baldy Randonnée Race! (date chosen)

Hi folks,

I'm putting on an informal, endurance ski mountaineering race on Mount Baldy on Sunday, February 21. It's intended to be friendly and is totally "under the table" so the forest service doesn't get involved, but I do expect some good competition. Come on out! It looks like 10-15 people will be there, and maybe more if you tell your buddies :wink:

Details: February 21, 10 ...
Read more : Baldy Randonnée Race! (date chosen) | Views : 602 | Replies : 1

favorite courtright route?

I love climbing in courtright, what are your favorite routes/domes there? On a related topic I'm 99% sure kenny and barry replaced the bolts on power line a few weeks back. Well I know they did, but I'm only 99% sure they got all the pitches done.

-jr
Read more : favorite courtright route? | Views : 8197 | Replies : 36

Alger Creek, Silver Lake area

Has anyone hiked/scrambled up Alger Creek directly from the Rush Creek TH? I'm wondering if this is a possible alternative to reach Alger Lakes versus taking the Rush Creek and Parker Pass Trails. Summertime, of course. Thanks in advance...
Read more : Alger Creek, Silver Lake area | Views : 3892 | Replies : 5

Accessibility to Shasta's Eastside Trailheads in May

O.K. I know it all depends on how much snow we get this winter and how much snow melts by the end of May. But, in a typical year are roads open to trailheads for the Hotlum-Wintun or Clear Creek routes by Memorial weekend?

I checked the SP Shasta page and the descriptions of how to get there don't include seasonal caveats.
Read more : Accessibility to Shasta's Eastside Trailheads in May | Views : 1407 | Replies : 6

Best hiking town/city in Nor Cal or Central Coast?

We are considering a move to CA. We're currently in the Boston area, and also spent a few years in Boulder. Personally I would like to go back to Boulder, but my husband is begging to be closer to the ocean, so we're thinking about CA now. We're looking for a place where decent hiking is right in town or just outside (similar to Boulder). Good restaurants & decent schools would be nice too. ...
Read more : Best hiking town/city in Nor Cal or Central Coast? | Views : 9334 | Replies : 24

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558013 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136555