It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 11:01 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Mt. Wilson trail damaged from fires?

Does anyone know if Mt. Wilson trailhead out of Sierra Madre, or Iron mountain trail (somewhere up Azusa canyon) was affected by fires last year and are closed?

I'm looking to go up one of those trails thursday and don't want to have to turn around.
Read more : Mt. Wilson trail damaged from fires? | Views : 2690 | Replies : 7

S&R on Shasta

Took my buddy janzalo to Shasta.
Turned into a Search and Rescue.

Cell phones don't work.
We tried all night to find him.
Had him on cell for a few minutes at a time.
Finally had to call the search off.
'Till next morning.

He popped out of a rednecks truck the next morning...
http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1641

Lucky Bastard!
Read more : S&R on Shasta | Views : 1019 | Replies : 1

Tokopah Ice?

Anyone been back by Tokopah Falls to see if the ice is in? And if so, how's it forming? Inquiring and inspiring WI4/5 climbers wanna know! :D
Read more : Tokopah Ice? | Views : 2612 | Replies : 12

Dismal fog holding pattern

The SF Bay area has been in a heavy daily winter inland fog pattern with limited visablility for over 2 weeks with no sun. Most people don't seem to mind. I know people in the northwest experience overcast skies for extended periods. I work outside and hike a lot. I guess I'm a whimp but it's really getting to me! Maybe I need a S.A.D. lamp our something.
Anyone else have anything to say about ...
Read more : Dismal fog holding pattern | Views : 5069 | Replies : 22

Safer in winter: Telescope Peak or Charleston Peak?

I know, I know, it depends on the conditions at the time of the climb...

But objectively speaking, which mountain is less dangerous when there is a decent amount of snow?

Thanks.
Read more : Safer in winter: Telescope Peak or Charleston Peak? | Views : 6024 | Replies : 8

Western Sierra Ski Tour TR

Rare Westside TR

I picked up a pair of older snowmobiles this last year which opens up all new terrain on the hard-to-access western slopes of the Sierra. Second time up this season, myself and a couple friends hit up Madera Peak in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. 4 hours skinning up from the road put us on the ridge a 1/4 mile from the summit. There wasn't enough coverage to make heading the final stretch ...
Read more : Western Sierra Ski Tour TR | Views : 3389 | Replies : 4

Consumnes River Gorge Guidebook

What's the one to get? I gather there are several climbing guides but haven't found any at local shops so may be reduced to ordering something sight unseen.
Read more : Consumnes River Gorge Guidebook | Views : 2212 | Replies : 6

Snow in Big Bear?

Anyone know if there is snow on the road that goes out to Champion Logdepole Pine and Bluff Mesa Group Camp? I'm looking to do some easy snow hiking/shoeing this weekend.

Thanks,

Gusto
Read more : Snow in Big Bear? | Views : 686 | Replies : 0

Rabbit Peak (Santa Rosas) - From the Coachella Valley?

I've been to Rabbit Peak from S22 (over Villager), but I'm thinking about starting down in the Coachella Valley in the Oasis area to do it my second time. Has anyone done it this route? If so, did you just leave your vehicle parked along the side of the road on Filmore Street near where Avenue 79 would be and head toward Rabbit as the Sierra Club's Desert Peak's Guide suggests? Any advice or tips ...
Read more : Rabbit Peak (Santa Rosas) - From the Coachella Valley? | Views : 5014 | Replies : 17

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558012 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136555