It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:29 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Mineral King Winter time access

Couple of questions for those that know. Since the road closed on the 1st of November, access is only allowed from cabin owners.
My understanding is that there are two locked gate on the Mineral King road now. This first being at ~10 mile just prior to Lookout point and the other being around ~17 mile prior to the Atwell Mill campground. I believe that the 17 mile gate is the official winter closure point ...
Read more : Mineral King Winter time access | Views : 5484 | Replies : 7

Who makes the best Avy Beacon?

Never owned one before... I noticed some of the newer models have all kinds of extras that I don't think I will need. Anyone have any good advice?
Read more : Who makes the best Avy Beacon? | Views : 2620 | Replies : 10

Serious vertical in least distance

Where could I find the most vertical rise in the shortest distance within an hour or two of Santa Rosa ? I do Hood Mountain almost every weekend and need a break. Hood gives me 2200' +/- in a little under 3 miles so it is not bad. I think the Rocky Canyon approach to Pyramid is likely the most i can gain but it is not close enough to do weekly and the snow ...
Read more : Serious vertical in least distance | Views : 1702 | Replies : 8

Josh not crowded

Just joshing :)
The place was packed with lots of folks enjoying the gobble gobble weekend. Some of the usual suspect included; SteveM, TonyC, JimL, JoeS, SteveL, RobY, Laura, Trevor, Donny……and a few people at the Short Wall on Sat (11/28/09) :shock:
Read more : Josh not crowded | Views : 4807 | Replies : 25

Any other highschoolers?

Hey guys! Im 15 and a sophmore, and live in San Diego. If there are any other high schoolers here who live by me, lets go climb! I don't have anyone to climb with, so lets go! Im down for anything, I mostly Trad, but climbing is climbing right? Winter mountaineering would be cool too! My old climbing partner is in college on the other side of the country this year, so I need a ...
Read more : Any other highschoolers? | Views : 488 | Replies : 0

Most remote areas in Sierra??

A ? for all you Sierra veterans/locals...Just wondering what you would consider the most remote area(s) in the Sierra? The vast majority of my high country romps have taken place in Wyoming/Montana, where it's easy to head to the hills and not see a soul at all.

I did a section of the Sierra High Route and bumped into people everyday, even in the Bear Lakes Basin which Steve Roper claims is the most remote ...
Read more : Most remote areas in Sierra?? | Views : 46835 | Replies : 74

Jack McBroom.....Where Art Thou??

Where are you? Haven't heard from The Possum in over a year. What?....has Hemet High School swallowed you?

Yo x15x15.....where the hell is your brother??
Read more : Jack McBroom.....Where Art Thou?? | Views : 2782 | Replies : 5

Telescope Peak beta request

Does anybody know what conditions to expect on telescope peak this time of the year? Can I expect the road to Charcoal Kilns be usable with a 2wd?
Read more : Telescope Peak beta request | Views : 6508 | Replies : 26

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136459