It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 3:54 pm

News News of Canada and Alaska

Site map of Canada and Alaska » Forum : Canada and Alaska

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.

Vancouver Scrambles

Hey, I'm going to be on the coast before and during the labour day weekend (September 4th). I haven't spent a whole lot of time out there and haven't got out to the hills in the limited time I have spent there. Last year around this time, I did the Brunswick scramble and was pretty impressed with the day out. What else would people recommend? Most likely it would have to be a feasible trip ...
Read more : Vancouver Scrambles | Views : 5299 | Replies : 9

living in AK, advice

Hi all,

What is it like to live in AK? (seriously)

I kinda fell for the place...hard. I felt at home with the people and I could see living there.

My first thought when I got home was, "how can I get back?"

Need advice/info on schools, best place to live, jobs for lawyers, etc...I'll take any advice.

Thanks
Read more : living in AK, advice | Views : 5857 | Replies : 17

Nahanni

I am reading the Nahanni River book by Frison-Roche and really captivated by the story. I made few unsuccessful searches on SP to see if there were any pics of the area, and wondered if there are any. Otherwise I'd be curious to watch some other websites or Picasa galleries with wide pictures of the place.
Thanks !
Eric
Read more : Nahanni | Views : 2827 | Replies : 10

Mount Carleton

I was just wondering if anyone had been up New Brunswick highest peak and had info on exactly how demanding it is. I have talked to lots of local people but haven't been able to get a time frame on what to expect from an adult. We're taking our kids to the back country spot below the summit and are confident in their ability to make it (it helps that my husband and I will ...
Read more : Mount Carleton | Views : 2326 | Replies : 4

advice needed

hy guys

I am moving to vancouver b.c area soon and looking to join one of the local alpine/mountaineering clubs.From my google search I came accross Bcmc and ACC vancouver section! For which one should I go? Any advice is welcome

Many thanks,

andrei
:P
Read more : advice needed | Views : 1879 | Replies : 2

Canadian Rockies Current Conditions

I put this pagetogether so that I could easily monitor data from multiple sources for an upcoming trip and monitor all the sources at once on my blackberry. It consists of a series of links to other sources, with refrences to the sources provided. Of course, I make no claims about the accuracy of the data. Use it wisely, and more importantly use common sense.

I'd be glad to add other useful information, if you ...
Read more : Canadian Rockies Current Conditions | Views : 3008 | Replies : 2

Alaskan highway

I'm an experienced hiker back east and have spent a lot of time out in the Sierra Nevada's back country alone as I lived in California for awhile while attending school in Davis. This summer, starting tomorrow actually, I am leaving Middle Tennessee to drive the ALCAN hwy in hopes of eventually winding up in Denali. I am going to do my damndest to avoid all the yuppie RVers who will be teaming along the ...
Read more : Alaskan highway | Views : 2328 | Replies : 7

Canmore Beta

Going to start adding this to my new Canadian Rockies pages this summer. Have had quite a few requests for this kind of stuff, so will post here for future reference.

Great Topos at Tabvar

100’s of Canmore multi-pitch rock climbs, both trad and sport, just scroll down to routes

Best Eats in Canmore: Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company, all organic fare, not just a pizza place, but a true best of the best mountain local ...
Read more : Canmore Beta | Views : 10411 | Replies : 16

Have you dropped down from Comox Glacier direct to Milla Lk?

Hi, I'm planning a big traverse (well, big for me, anyway), and I'd like any input on the sticky bit:
To get from the Comox Glacier to Rees Ridge, there is apparently a route down direct from the ridge 1/2 way between the Glacier and Argus.

If you have done this route, I'd really like to hear about it. I've read the Hiking Trails III description, and they talk about 'using a handline for security.' ...
Read more : Have you dropped down from Comox Glacier direct to Milla Lk? | Views : 1208 | Replies : 0

Bugaboo July snow pack

Jeff Volp (Area Supervisor, Columbia Area Parks and Protected Areas Ministry of Environment Kootenay-Boundary) posted a June 19th photo and the following report:

“about 1.5m of snow at Applebee Dome, half that at the Conrad Kain Hut. A few big trees across the trail, and lots of bear sign...”

Questions:

1. is this a typical snow condition for this time of the year in the Bugaboos, or is this more snow than usual?

2. what ...
Read more : Bugaboo July snow pack | Views : 2920 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558012 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136550