It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:41 pm

News News of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Site map of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast) » Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

Mt. Marcy question

A few years ago during a trip to NY, I ran Mt. Marcy from the Adirondak Loj via the Hoevenberg Trail. Really enjoyed it.

Now I have another chance to do a mountain run in NYS and am considering Marcy from the Johns Brook Lodge via Hopkins Trail or Phelps Trail.

Anyone know how runnable they are? Are they different enough from Hoevenberg to be worthwhile, or are they just “more of the same”? Should ...
Read more : Mt. Marcy question | Views : 3704 | Replies : 1

Dial and Nippletop mountain

Hi! Looking to hike dial and nippletop mountain next weekend and wanted to do a couple overnights to make my sisters first high peak adventure easy and fun! What is the best place to park to start the hike? How far from the parking lot would we have to hike with our gear til the first camping spot? Any other tips or advice would be great!! Thanks!
Read more : Dial and Nippletop mountain | Views : 3344 | Replies : 1

Pawtuckaway a good warmup hike for White Mountains?

Hi all! Just joined as I'm planning a 3.5-day hike in WMNF in June (which includes SOBO Franconia Ridge from Garfield, then looping up the Franconia Brook trail to Galehead, with some side trips in there), and I want to do a good practice day trip with a full pack. I was just wondering if Pawtuckaway would be good for that (doing both North and South), or if I should look to do more elevation ...
Read more : Pawtuckaway a good warmup hike for White Mountains? | Views : 3925 | Replies : 2

scrambling in mid-atlantic

I'm interested in good 3rd/4th class scrambling within reasonable driving distance of Washington DC -- I found an earlier thread on scrambling in the east, but it was (perhaps not surprisingly) focused on NH, ME, etc. Is there anything in VA or PA or elsewhere that folks can recommend?

thanks in advance,
julian
Read more : scrambling in mid-atlantic | Views : 8279 | Replies : 4

Mt. Haystack Ice Climbs (2018 March 24)

We snuck a couple new lines in during the first few days of spring :D
John 3:16 (WI4 / 140') & PG-13 (WI4 / 170')
https://www.summitpost.org/panther-gorge-spring-ice-climbing-on-haystack-john-3-16-wi4-and-pg-13-wi4/1017200
Read more : Mt. Haystack Ice Climbs (2018 March 24) | Views : 2698 | Replies : 0

New Hampshire Short Hiking Recommendations above treeline?

Hello all, I went hiking in Colorado and loved it, mountains off the freeway with beautiful views above the treeline, but its way too far especially considering I live in Toronto.

Planning a trip to New Hampshire in May (around White Mountain National Forest) and am looking for short hikes (8 miles round trip) that take place above the treeline? I went hiking in Lake Placid and a lot of hikes took place below the ...
Read more : New Hampshire Short Hiking Recommendations above treeline? | Views : 14985 | Replies : 10

Nice job Mudrat!

Been all over the news in my parts ... a major rescue deep in the Adirondack High Peaks this past weekend involving 34 Rangers and 12 volunteers. See below linked tweet to see a photo of the action taken by SP’s very own Mudrat:

https://twitter.com/scottvanlaer/status/961220049741778944

More on the rescue:

RAY BROOK, N.Y. (AP) A hiker is recovering from a leg injury after 34 state forest rangers and 12 volunteers braved high winds and snow in ...
Read more : Nice job Mudrat! | Views : 3527 | Replies : 2

Eastern Puma Declared Extinct

Bucking persistent rumors that the Puma still roams the forests and mountains of the Northeastern US, the Federal Government officially declared the eastern Puma extinct this week, thus removing it from the Endangered Species list. A sad day.

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. – Federal officials have declared the Eastern puma extinct 80 years after the last confirmed sighting.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced this week it's removing the animal from the endangered species list. ...
Read more : Eastern Puma Declared Extinct | Views : 2700 | Replies : 0

Virginia Ice climbing Photography

Hey all,
I'm an adventure photographer in Virginia looking to photograph some ice climbing this winter and possibly some bouldering this fall. I'm open to any location from NC to West Virginia. I am looking for some climbers willing to participate.

Thank you,
C
Read more : Virginia Ice climbing Photography | Views : 5094 | Replies : 2

Climbing Mt Mansfield this Friday 10/20/17

Hello,

I'll be in VT this week and was thinking of climbing Mt. Mansfield this Friday. I'm having trouble finding any recent trip reports. What sort of conditions can I expect? I'm not comfortable doing this if an ice axe is required, but I imagine that I don't need one yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Read more : Climbing Mt Mansfield this Friday 10/20/17 | Views : 3570 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557962 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136434