It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:24 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Is it safe to trek in Pakistan?

Hi all,

Im totally new on the forum and dont even know if I am posting in the right section but need a bit of advice.

I would love to go trekking in Pakistan this summer but I am not sure if it safe to do so considering the present situation across and along the border with Afghanistan. Can anyone provide me with any info, please

Thanks
girl
Read more : Is it safe to trek in Pakistan? | Views : 6075 | Replies : 17

Last Wishes and Being Left on the Mountain

In a nutshell, here are the questions that I'm pondering for a worst case 'what if' scenario. I'll rant some more about them below.

1. What are the legal ramifications for this, both for those left behind, and for the agencies that operate in the area?

2. Could this be done in the lower 48 states if it were contextually appropriate and specified a priori to family or a climbing partner?

3. How about just ...
Read more : Last Wishes and Being Left on the Mountain | Views : 11709 | Replies : 63

Okay, I have given up on Nat'l Geographic's TOPO! software

I have been wrestling with this software for years, but today I am forced to admit I am throwing in the towel. You win, National Geographic, your software is officially unusable.

It has always been difficult to use, but now I have lost patience with the extremely poor image quality and resolution of the maps. They are supposed to get their data from USGS topo maps, but the unreadable crap above (of an area ...
Read more : Okay, I have given up on Nat'l Geographic's TOPO! software | Views : 16840 | Replies : 42

Message from Glaciers

An interesting article on how global warming is affecting glaciers on Tibetan plateau. Not overly hysterically alarmist, a very good read with some cool scientific facts:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archive ... -glaciers/
Read more : Message from Glaciers | Views : 1057 | Replies : 4

Darn it, I don't see

the section for Hawaii....

Leaving for Hawaii in the morning. Might not have time to hike both Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. Quick... which one should I do?
Read more : Darn it, I don't see | Views : 5968 | Replies : 18

Suggested 14er

Two families are traveling to CO in July (kids 16 years to college). Looking for a recommendation on a 14er. We are all in pretty good shape, but no experience in technical climbing. My wife has some height fears, so trying to stay away from very narrow trails with significant drops. Any suggestions from the group?
Read more : Suggested 14er | Views : 2997 | Replies : 8

Rockies page ?

Lately in the Europe forum, ranges were discussed, and few questions raised like why do not we have range pages for the Ands, the Himalayas, the Rockies.
Well according to the SP rules, the author of a range must not have climbed all summits but have a significant amount of experience about the concerned area. We understand easily why no one can apply for such page. Especially for the Ands, the Himalayas and other big ...
Read more : Rockies page ? | Views : 3820 | Replies : 12

Durable Computer Hardware

This thread should be moved to Off Route I guess. But as we all use PCs to access and submit info to SP I'll start it here.

Just found a missing byteStor USB Flash Drive. Lost it around two months ago. I know that as I rarely use flash drives now.

Stuck it in my PC and all the data seems fine. Images, spreadsheets, word documents. All fine.

The drive was in a top pocket ...
Read more : Durable Computer Hardware | Views : 1254 | Replies : 3

Help Protect Mount Olympus National Park

There is an online petition calling for the extension of the Mt Olympus National Park from its current 38,500 acres (covering part of the peak and the eastern slopes of the mountain) to 238,000 acres.

This is a necessary step to protect this unique environment from destruction for private profit.

Next Wednesday, May 12, 2010, at 12:00 noon there will be an open meeting at the Culture Ministry in Athens to discuss this proposal.

Your ...
Read more : Help Protect Mount Olympus National Park | Views : 2115 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136501